Scotts Steering Damper '09 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I feel like I could go faster if I had one of these. Part of the reason I hold if us because I'm afraid I'm gonna get into a death wobble on the highway. This should fix that. But I hear they are pricey.
death wobbles on the highway?
I've had mine up to 140kph with no sign of any wobbles, the bike does not need a steering damper unless you are racing it, and even then you would have to spend heaps on the suspension and engine before you even considered a damper IMO

Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
I've had mine up to 140kph with no sign of any wobbles, the bike does not need a steering damper unless you are racing it, and even then you would have to spend heaps on the suspension and engine before you even considered a damper IMO
How much do you weigh? I'm 200lb with no gear on. This bike is known to be pretty unstable at 80mph indicated. I scoot backwards in the seat and that helps, but I'm not exactly relaxed.

I may have been up to 86mph as you have but that was probably only for a brief instant. Even then that's probably only 78mph for real. That's pretty fast for a little 250cc dirt bike like ours.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Once you ride with one, then get on another bike that doesn't have one - the sensation is that the steering became real loose. Which for some its what they are after. Some like to have some sort of mechanical advantage when the bars are being ripped from your grip.

For myself I feel safer with more control, braking bumps, rocks, whoops, speed wobbles are what I have it for.

Sure for the wife it maybe over kill but she had a 84 xl250r and that thing was scarey when it death wobbled. Whether it be rain grooves on the freeway or cross grain on the trail I want my sweetie to get the same benefits on any bike. IMHO

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Well, you're one of the few then. Maybe your weight isn't as far forward because you're, errr...aw heck with it, you're not exactly a basketball player.

Anyway, at 130+kph, give the bars a short, but sharp input. That will usually unduce the wobble. Most of it is induced by rider input that many don't realize is happening, like working the clutch in less than smooth fashion which results in bar movement. Stiff arm/s don't help either.

When I had my supsension reworked, Motopro went firmer on the forks and softer on the shock which resulted in a slight more relaxed geometry. Since then, it has been much harder to induce the wobble but it still can be done.

At any rate, I don't see any harm with trying a steering damper. Anything that makes the bike more forgiving is good, in my book.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the wer and back to center there's no res. I like mine works for me.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the WER. I'd like to be able to get it stiffer but as it is it works great when you need it. If you haven't experienced any steering issues then save your money cause you don't need one. m2c's

Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Change the oil to a thicker one to slow it down even more.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Anyway, at 130+kph, give the bars a short, but sharp input. That will usually unduce the wobble.
Why would I want to? oh yeah it's Induce ... but you know that

Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Once you ride with one, then get on another bike that doesn't have one - the sensation is that the steering became real loose.
Never ridden a bike with one, not even a motocross bike, never needed one ... well maybe once that time cost me 16 days in hospital. But that was a sports bike and I was doing over 140kph (closer to 160 - 180 I'd guess)

Old 12-05-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=kgwld1;343237]Change the oil to a thicker one to slow it down even more.[/QUOT
Can I do that myself or do I have to send the unit to WER to get it done?

Quick Reply: Scotts Steering Damper '09 KLX250S