Scorpion Rad Guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

No. The tank was the issue not the mount.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by trialstrails
Both the Scorpion and Unibiker rad guards rear support mounts to the gas tank mount.
Isn't this a potential problem considering the gas tank recall AT this point?
I'd suggest that anyone who still has to get the tank recall done and has rad guards on their bike take them off so as not to confuse the "tech" doing the recall. If they don't remove the guards I would suggest they VERY closely check the guard install when they get the bike back to see that everything is still as it was, ie all the right bolts are where they should be. IMHO

Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM

Yes but the bolts that hold the tank on will now also be the bolts that hold the guards on. These bolts are rubber mounted and they thread right in to the tank bracket that is THE problem. I think therefor that the guards will be rubber mounted and any potential hit from a fall will cause a failure in the tank bracket since it is all flexible by the rubber grommets.
Explain if I am wrong.
Very interested because I plan to buy some guards and want to know if this is a problem.
Thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Good point. Reading back through this thread there are several mentions of rad guards working as they should (preventing rad damage) in a crash but no one mentions anything about there being a tank problem later. I think that as the tank "floats" in rubber mounts there is enough movement that a hit will not stress the threads/side mount.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

The rubber bushing is frame mounted, yes the bushing may have some give but it was designed that way. I myself am not worried about it. Have a great long weekend.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:16 PM

I won't worry about it then.
I bought my KLX one week ago and have put over 1000 miles on it this week so far. All dirt, mostly single track.
I'm going riding.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Installed them this weekend. Easy install, looking good, happy with the purchase. Hope I will never "use" them though.

Also installed Scorpio skid plate. Bit more fiddly, as I found out it was impossible to install it with foam strips sandwiched between the frame and the plate. Nevermind, the fit is tight, tested it thoroughly in dirt, no vibration noise (yet).

Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

@ Sharan - I had the same trouble getting the skid plate on. I ended up threading on the back bolts loosely, then I threaded the front bolts after applying some leverage with a floor jack, and then I tightened it all down. BTW, I put the foam on the bike frame first.
So if you get some noise and take it off, try it again with the foam.
And I'm not saying it was easy, I got the knuckle scars to prove it, just that it can be done.
The years have taught me patience if nothing else, well, and to know when to get the bigger hammer!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, OK, the floor jack idea didn't occur to me. I was pushing everything together by hand and after couple of beers and dozens of profanities I decided to peel the foam off.

I could not engage the front rightmost bolt into the thread for the spacer was touching the frame. I filled ~1mm off the spacer where it touched and that was it.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sharan
Installed them this weekend. Easy install, looking good, happy with the purchase. Hope I will never "use" them though.

Also installed Scorpio skid plate. Bit more fiddly, as I found out it was impossible to install it with foam strips sandwiched between the frame and the plate. Nevermind, the fit is tight, tested it thoroughly in dirt, no vibration noise (yet).
Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
@ Sharan - I had the same trouble getting the skid plate on. I ended up threading on the back bolts loosely, then I threaded the front bolts after applying some leverage with a floor jack, and then I tightened it all down. BTW, I put the foam on the bike frame first.
So if you get some noise and take it off, try it again with the foam.
And I'm not saying it was easy, I got the knuckle scars to prove it, just that it can be done.
The years have taught me patience if nothing else, well, and to know when to get the bigger hammer!
I had the same trouble with my skid plate... I assumed it was just me, cuz I always seem to have that sort trouble installing simple bolt-on parts for some reason. As stated, the floor jack, and putting the foam on the frame worked, but still required some maneuvering.

Rad guards went on well. I like them a lot. I can hear a vibration somewhere that I think is a rad shroud. Now that it's too late, I wonder if I should have done one side, and gone for a ride before doing the other so I'd know what side the noise is coming from.

Btw, the Scorpion Promo code I found on an older post on here still works. 20% off and free shipping (in Canada, anyway). Promo code: TT20OFF It also helps that it's a Canadian company and the stuff just plain looks good.

Name:  20120901_230312.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  420.6 KB

Name:  20120901_230327.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  359.2 KB

Name:  20120804_155045.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  453.8 KB

Quick Reply: Scorpion Rad Guards