Scorpion Rad Guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Default 09 ims tank

Anyone fitted up the Scorpion radiator guards with the IMS 3 gallon tank? If so any fitting issues. Scorpions on the way,IMS on the to do list.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by muzz
Anyone fitted up the Scorpion radiator guards with the IMS 3 gallon tank? If so any fitting issues. Scorpions on the way,IMS on the to do list.
Yeah, I have Scorpion rad guards with the IMS tank - no problems at all

Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Air Flow

Any comments on air flow and possible over heating from using rad guards?

Does the removal of the plastic air vanes decrease the air flow thru the radiator thus increasing temps?

Does the addition of the rad guards decrease air flow enough / any to effect temps?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

^ i doubt it, i think the thermostat is constantly closing to monitor run temps on this bike anyways cuz of the massive amount of heat exchange capability of the 2 rads.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 PM
red
1st Gear Member

the cooling system on this bike is excessive to say the least

Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't agree, I think it's just right. I have had the fan come on a number of times in tight slow terrain on hot days.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had no problems with overheating since I installed the rad guards. The stock plastic ones are there to deflect insects etc rather than for mas air flow reasons (I believe) so don't stress about removing them to put the rad guards on. The amount that the guards obstruct the airflow is negligable as you will see once they are fitted.

If you do struggle with temps after installing the guards, it's most likely coz you need to flush the cooling system and put some fresh radiator mix in there - works wonders!

Go for these guards - you will not regret them. They are solid protection as I can attest from some of the falls I have had with them on.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Don't agree, I think it's just right. I have had the fan come on a number of times in tight slow terrain on hot days.
there's no heat exchange without air flow

Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Different bike set ups create different heat problems. I had problems riding on the freeway getting to a dirt riding area. Coolant would come out the overflow tank overflow hose leaving a fine spray all over the swingarm & rim, under the rear fender. The bb kit jetting wasn't dialed in perfectly so I put on a higher pressure radiator cap & raised the needle and it cured the problem. The fan never came on.....

Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 AM

Both the Scorpion and Unibiker rad guards rear support mounts to the gas tank mount.
Isn't this a potential problem considering the gas tank recall AT this point?

Quick Reply: Scorpion Rad Guards