Scorpion Rad Guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Scorpion Rad Guards

Got these a while ago - decided on them over the other ones mainly because they were from the home country.

Looked good out of the box:

Name:  p_00248.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  97.0 KB

Couple runs back & forth to the computer to check their good pics on their website got me through great:

Name:  p_00250-1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  p_00249-1.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  47.9 KB

The right one is barely touching the fan assembly, and outside edge of the rad enclosure:

Name:  p_00251.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  65.3 KB

The rads are all rubber mounted & move around a bit anyway, I don't think it will be an issue. Didn't see any way to adjust it out, the guards had to be adjusted for the shrouds. Will just watch it. Riding revealed a new buzz from the shroud/tank area, did a lot of looking before I think I found it coming from where the shroud rests on the guard. Couple strips of weatherstripping got rid of that:

Name:  p_00254.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  60.6 KB

Overall pretty happy with them - although kinda hope they never actually get used.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good. I would have got Scorpion but didn't realize they were around. Went with the Unabiker.
Here's hoping that "you only need what you don't have" works it's charm. May the rad guards never be fully tested.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Had a second thought while chewing through supper here a while ago - I might try to space the right guard out a touch with a couple of thin washers next time I'm working at the bike to get rid of that light contact. Still not worried about it though - and after this past couple of days of wrenching just want to ride the darned thing anyway. One thing's for certain - I'm even more glad I bought this thing, might even be the most satisfying 'toy' buy of my 49 year existence. Working like a top & getting better each time out. So far the ideal bike for hoping on and going anywhere around here spur of the moment like - with or without kids tagging along.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

LOoks nice! I have the unibikers and have used them. Glad I had them on when they were "used" Well worth the money.
Dan

Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Good choice. I have the Scorpion guards too and have inadvertantly "tested" them - I can happily tell you they work!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks good, I got the unibiker also but they look alot alike. I didn't realize until I put them on that the radiators just hang out there waiting to be turned sideways. Never used mine yet either but I will I'm sure.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I like them...nice install...might have to get some

Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I have them, they installed easily and I like them a lot but hope to not use them.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Since someone else bumped this again, I'll add something else I forgot to mention the first time - the kit specs to use 20mm bolts (supplied) at the rear brace/fuel tank mounting point. When I got to bolting things up, I found 20mm bolts already at that point, and it seemed adding the brace into that mix they would be too short. So I used a couple of 22mm bolts (my quick measurements with a plastic ruler) from the front that the kit replaces with 25mm. Not sure if anyone else went through that or not. I might have been more comfy using 25mm back there too, but pretty sure things will be OK doing that - just didn't seem that 20mm back at that point would leave much of the bolt threaded in. Maybe I should email them on that. Anyway, lots of bolts left over when all is done, since they sent lots in the kit for swapping in.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I used the unibiker guards on the wifes bike. They triangulate to the tank mount and do not interfere anywhere. They also have solid rods top and bottom to prevent side load damage. Much better design IMO.

Quick Reply: Scorpion Rad Guards