Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet Report

I purchased a Scorpion EXO-400 full-face helmet (Warhawk, in green) for cold weather use.

It's dark when I leave for work, with the temperatures in the teens to twenties (sometimes single digits). Although it warms up during the day 40s-50s, it's dark when I head home with the temperatures in the 30s-40s.

If your commute is more than a couple of miles, and greater than 40mph speeds (mine isn't), I can't recommend this helmet as a suitable cold weather helmet.

The helmet has lots of little vents. I closed them all off, but it still circulates quite a bit of air over my face and my eyes still feel the cold. I can't tuck my chin down into my collar anymore, and my chin also gets quite cold. The Scorpion sizing chart was accurate, and the helmet feels like it fits nicely (I tried on some helmets at my dealer, but they didn't have the Warhawk). I found the cheeks pads to be a little snug, but I'm sure that's my fault. I was out riding today, and the first thing I noticed was how much I miss the visor on my ATV style helmet I had been using. My eyes don't like the sunshine. I found it difficult to add sunglasses to the Scorpion helmet. They'll fit in there, but not easily. I think I should have bought a nice MX style helmet, a warm balaclava, and some nice goggles...

I order the helmet from Motostano ($139, free shipping) on November 21st. They claim items are shipped in 1-3 business days. After nine days without a word, I asked for a status update. My helmet arrived on December 5th. If you are interested, their website is;

http://www.motostrano-store.com/scwaexhe.html

Old 12-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet Report

Here is the one I bought right at the shop. But I haven't had a chance to use it much, I guess I just really like the looks of the MX helmet. But for those longer or colder rides I might have to start using it.

http://www.terra-powersports.com/pro...e/mfr/id/30915

Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 AM

I have the 700 series helmet and love it. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Once think you might consider is the optional Aero Skirt. It is designed specifically to keep wind from blowing up your chin. I have not found a need for it, but it seems to be a good option to address really cold rides. I am thinking about getting one.

I think it fits both 400 & 700 series.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Worski,

I purchased this 400 a month or two ago:

http://www.helmetcity.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

It fits just like you described. I spoke to my friend who also rides street and he said that the street helmets are designed to be tighter on the cheeks.. (man, I love my MX helmet!!)

The lack of a visor sucks, but I bought the light smoked lens and that seems to help alot on those sunny days.... In the woods the clear works great so its no problem..

Cold wise- again, you nailed it... lots of vents and the front chin vents doesnt actually close like the top ones do so there is constantly air comming in.

I am going to take CWGOFF's advice and get the 'aro skirt' as I think this will remedy the airflow problem...

Overall, I like the fit and visibilty (if I have to ride with a street helmet for winter...) but that lower vent needs to be canceled out when it gets below 50 degrees!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Chris,

Thanks for the tip about the aero skirt, I hadn't noticed it was available when I ordered the helmet. I'll check with my dealer on Monday...