Saturday Ride Report: Aug 30, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Saturday Ride Report: Aug 30, 2009

Well I stumbled across a website the other day (www.gartra.com) Georgia Recreational Trail Riders Association. It just so happened that they were having a rally at the Locust Stake ORV park (http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/facili...?facilityid=57) just 9 miles from my house for this Saturday.

GARTRA is a club that does maintenance and rides. Unfortunately the trails were closed today and they were doing major maintenance on them because tropical storm Faye did a number on the trail. The access road was unreal too. The director of the whole deal told me of a place to go about half an hour away called Oakey Mountain ORV Park (http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/facili...?facilityid=60). I'm glad I went there instead of Locust. I thought Locust was hard and long...yikes that sounds wierd but it's got nothing on Oakey. There were only three of us out there, me and 2 ORV 4X4's.

I had my ghetto cam mounted and 2 sets of batteries. I'm telling you, this trail was insane! Unfortunately my batteries died long before I got to the hardest part of the trail - the end of it. It seems like it was straight down with basketball size rocks all over. I just left it in first gear coasted down pumping the front break and staying off the back. I was amazed that I made it down with out dropping the bike. When I got to the bottom the guys I met up with couldn't believe I made it down. They said they almost didn't and they were on 4x4's!

It was such an intense trail that I got so overheated from riding at one point that I almost puked. It was a gorgeous area and it has to be by far some of the best ORV trails in the state if not in the east. Words don't do it justice.

I've got a new little hobby, making cheesy videos, and I did so today with my ghetto cam. It's about 8 minutes long and if you click the link to watch make sure you also click the link in blue to watch it in higher quality. It's slower but worth it, just let it load for a little while before you play it. I hit some pretty good jumps but the cam just really doesn't catch it. Hope you like the video with my ghetto cam, you'll see what I'm talking about at the end of the video.

I love this freakin bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Lq-1pDpmQ#

Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Golf anyone. LOL.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice trail BTW.