sand tires do you think i could get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

idk my 350 has tons of power but its all low to mid so you have to shift fast and gear tall in the sand

Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have so much experience in the dunes why are you asking? I have never ridden dunes but plenty of sand in the Upper Peninsula. And only on a two stroke. I would never take the KLX to the U.P. That would be bike abuse.

Last edited by 2veedubs; 08-23-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

figgured someone woukd know the arm on the klx is a bit different than my other bikes so i figguered i'd ask before throwing $60 at it is all. not playing in the sand is your call, i'll see how she does worst comes to worst i put the firt tires back on it and find a few trails to use it on an ride a diffrent bike

Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

You are lucky to have so much different terrain so close to you. Dunes, flat out dessert and mountains all within a days drive. I have only woods, which I love.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
You are lucky to have so much different terrain so close to you. Dunes, flat out dessert and mountains all within a days drive. I have only woods, which I love.
i have more than that lol got sand, silt, open des, rocky des, open flowing single track tons of dirt roads tight woods with *** busting single track and woods that you can fly through and thats within 3hrs drive or less for all that in state and i'm a hop skip and a jump from all sorts of out of state fun, and the best part of it and the reason i have so many mi behind me is i work from home or wherever i can get internet access having satellite internet helps a lot with the fact i can up and go wherever whenever and do work plus other than 4 meetings a quarter i have no schedule really, it makes having this much fun possible that and not having kids so what kind of vw's you have? i only ask because i just rolled 240k in my rabbit pickup today

Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

You have a Caddy! I have had many Golfs, Jetta's, a Vanagon, 16v Scirocco and 1.8t Passat. Now I have a Caddy as well, a CTS...lol. I prefer the older VW as the new ones are trying too hard to be an Audi as opposed to the nice affordable German car. I am looking for a clean older vw to throw a pumped up 1.8t into, I love a modded 20v turbo.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

its an 81 diesel that's been worked over pretty good, 2.0 stroker crank(they have the same mains) and a twincam DI head from a german tractor compnay that is owned partly by vw and it bolts up to the 1.6 block and it has a 1.9AZZ pump and custom rods its good for amost 88hp lol but gets 62 and 75 mpg, it's got an 020 5 speed wide ratio trans for better mpg and its now rolling on snowflakes and wroking og putting together a rocco front clip part by part, personaly i like the new ones just bought a passat for my girl can't beat the mpg on the new tdi just wish they would bring the R32's back! i also have a 86 quatro sport that i imported from the UK(RHD) trubo with a sequential gearbox for rally too fun to drive

Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I personally like my dubs to come from the homeland. The passat is now made here. The jetta and golf made in mexico for a long time. Your diesel sounds pretty sweet!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

What's the deal? No love for the ACVW's?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I just picked up another sand tire last night. A new, never mounted or used Turbo Paddle something or another, 110/100-18. Paid $10.

My only concern with this tire, or any paddle tire, is rear fender clearance. Are these things gonna bottom out against the rear fender at full suspension compression? My bike is 1" lower with dogbones so I worry about it.

Rob

Quick Reply: sand tires do you think i could get away with it?