sand tires do you think i could get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default sand tires do you think i could get away with it?

110x100/18? looking around and found a few paddles in this size, i have a trip coming up in a month and i took the bike last year and did so so with dirt tires but stuck with my yz250 and cr500 beause i had paddles on them was wondering if they will fit though? i know the bike can pull it off because i did it without sticking it last year just not as well as i could with sand tires on

Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I keep a cheap big size sedona sand knobby around and pry on for sandy events. Never put it on the klx though, can';t even imagine how underpowered it'd be in sand.

In your local I've ridden at beverly and the frostbite events, and taken a few pokes at haybeck hill bet never made it.

have fun on your trip! (take the 500, LOL)

Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
I keep a cheap big size sedona sand knobby around and pry on for sandy events. Never put it on the klx though, can';t even imagine how underpowered it'd be in sand.

In your local I've ridden at beverly and the frostbite events, and taken a few pokes at haybeck hill bet never made it.

have fun on your trip! (take the 500, LOL)
I was wondering about that. I stopped at Glammis dunes in '04 one year on my way back home from SoCal. I asked some of the guys hanging around there about the paddle tires on their bikes. At that point about half the bikes out there were 2-stroke MX bikes with the other half 450 4-strokes. They told me that the 4-stroke 250 race bikes weren't the best for paddles in really sandy conditions. The 450's were able to handle it, however. I don't know personally...never tried to run one.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

A friend I work with (rides a YZ450F) says a 250 is just too under-powered for sand dunes. He learned to ride on the dunes and says you basically have to ride it wide open all the time, and even with a 450, it's "iffy" sometimes.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess I'll find out soon. I picked up a used (new, never mounted) paddle to fit m KLX. Couldn't pass it up for $20. Gonna probably head to Florence (Oregon) in a couple of weekends with a couple other friends.. one has a new KLX, the other a new XT250. No paddles on their bikes though. I'm also bringing my Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS ATV though (with sand tires of course).

Rob

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Rob,
I was at Camp Meriwether north of Pacific City, just west of Sand Lake, a few weeks ago and heard other motors running around on the dunes south of the camp. Maybe another place to check out and also closer to Salem. Let us know how it goes.

I miss the Willamette Valley! Grew up in Eugene.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Everybody I've talked to said Sand Lake isn't worth the trip. It's about an hour and a half up there from Salem, versus 2.5 hours to Florence and a much larger riding area.

Rob

Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
A friend I work with (rides a YZ450F) says a 250 is just too under-powered for sand dunes. He learned to ride on the dunes and says you basically have to ride it wide open all the time, and even with a 450, it's "iffy" sometimes.
your friend doesn't know whats up or just can't ride or someting isn't right with his bike, i'v ridden my 250x in the dunes with no issue and i have done the same with my 450x as well as my xr350r and my girl's yz85 and her new crf150r, i'm not looking to bomb olds in 6th or kill banshee hill just ride around thats why i'm looking to see if a 110x100/18 paddle will fit its been 10+years since i have bought a paddle and that was for my cr500 i can't remember if they factor in the cups to the size or not

Old 08-23-2012, 01:46 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
your friend doesn't know whats up or just can't ride or someting isn't right with his bike, i'v ridden my 250x in the dunes with no issue and i have done the same with my 450x as well as my xr350r and my girl's yz85 and her new crf150r, i'm not looking to bomb olds in 6th or kill banshee hill just ride around thats why i'm looking to see if a 110x100/18 paddle will fit its been 10+years since i have bought a paddle and that was for my cr500 i can't remember if they factor in the cups to the size or not
Now that's interesting, especially on the XR350R. I may not have ridden a bike with a paddle tire, but I have ridden that XR350R in the sand, and it sinks like a rock. Though the XR250R has a smaller engine, the rest of the bike is lighter. And while the famous XR400R evolved from the 350, there is a ton of evolution in its transformation. The 350 was a relative boat anchor IMO, and I can't see it doing anything but sucking in sand with any kind of tire on it. I don't think anyone is saying that you "can't" ride with a heavy, low powered bike in the sand with a paddle tire, but why handicap yourself?

Is your girls 150 that Unicam model or the air-cooled version? That little Unicam 150 is a freakin' screamer and can be ridden by a decently sized adult for some riding in the big wheel version.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

IMO, best time to hit Florance is around thanksgiving when the sand is moist and has traction. You'll have a good time there now though and be amazed by the number of people, it's good party if anything else!

If you want to kick butt on the high dollar quads drag racing or climbing, take a mountain snowmobile

Last edited by RimBender; 08-23-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Quick Reply: sand tires do you think i could get away with it?