Sag with "stock" springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Sag with "stock" springs?

New member here.
Hi, my name is Mikko and I'm a bike addict.

I scored a used 2007 KLX250 and took it home on Saturday.
On Sunday I did the normal "used bike bring-home service" with new oil + filter, replacing both brake fluids, check tires and chain and finally measured the suspension sag as the bike is now.

And the sag numbers were little surprising.

Front: static sag = 35mm, race sag = 87mm
Rear: static sag = 40mm, race sag = 125mm

Race sag with my 190 lbs + gear sitting on the bike.

I've been reading all over the place how these bikes have such weak front springs, but this thing is pretty much spot-on for me!
The PO did not mention anything about any suspension work being done on the bike (he let his dealer to do all the work on this bike) so I was expecting stock fork springs.

But I really have to assume the fork springs have been replaced at some point since all on-line calculators show ~0.44kg/mm would be correct spring for my weight and the stock ones are supposed to be around 0.38kg/m.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and the rear sag is bit on the high side. Stock spring is supposedly 5.8kg/mm, I'm going to try a 6.0kg/mm and see which I like better.

--
Mikko

Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

hi, my names punk and im a speed addict (physical speed, not the **** they cook up around here)

i would try messing with the settings with the rear spring first. i went up on the preload and found it helped with the sag a lot. i didnt messure it cus i had no one to help me, but i took plenty of it out and the bike is also stiffer so i didnt bottom out as much.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
New member here.
Hi, my name is Mikko and I'm a bike addict.

I scored a used 2007 KLX250 and took it home on Saturday.
On Sunday I did the normal "used bike bring-home service" with new oil + filter, replacing both brake fluids, check tires and chain and finally measured the suspension sag as the bike is now.

And the sag numbers were little surprising.

Front: static sag = 35mm, race sag = 87mm
Rear: static sag = 40mm, race sag = 125mm

Race sag with my 190 lbs + gear sitting on the bike.

I've been reading all over the place how these bikes have such weak front springs, but this thing is pretty much spot-on for me!
The PO did not mention anything about any suspension work being done on the bike (he let his dealer to do all the work on this bike) so I was expecting stock fork springs.

But I really have to assume the fork springs have been replaced at some point since all on-line calculators show ~0.44kg/mm would be correct spring for my weight and the stock ones are supposed to be around 0.38kg/m.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and the rear sag is bit on the high side. Stock spring is supposedly 5.8kg/mm, I'm going to try a 6.0kg/mm and see which I like better.

--
Mikko
Rear race sag should be about 93mm for this bike. I have no idea about the front sag. If you can adjust to proper race sag using the preload and still have your static sag within limit's, you're good to go. I'm thinking you're right at the ragged edge and might be better off with the 6.0kg spring rate.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I'm thinking you're right at the ragged edge and might be better off with the 6.0kg spring rate.
That's what I thought too. I don't like it how bikes ride with lot of preload in the back. The springs aren't that expensive so I'll likely give it a try.

But the front sag was big surprise.
Has anyone measure it off a known stock bike?

--
Mikko