Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS Show them off

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Before I bought my KLX, I used to ride my bicycle to work. With the early winter nights I felt pretty exposed at night. So I custom ordered this laptop bag from Shop for a Messenger Bag, Backpack, Tote Bag, iPad Sleeve, Kindle Sleeve, Laptop Bag, Pannier Bag, Camera Bag, Diaper Bag, Customize a Bag, Timbuktu or Create a Custom Bag Made In the Mission District, San Francisco - Timbuk2 Bags.

It really didn't cost that much more then buying a similar bag from Staples and it has a super bright reflective material. When headlights hit it you can see it from anywhere.

Attached Thumbnails Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS  Show them off-photo.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the high and wide position of the turn signal. Kind of like an elephant charging with ears forward

Is the headlight color whiter than standard and do you think it is helpful to for onlookers?

The greens is bit off isn't it?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Before I bought my KLX, I used to ride my bicycle to work. With the early winter nights I felt pretty exposed at night. So I custom ordered this laptop bag from Shop for a Messenger Bag, Backpack, Tote Bag, iPad Sleeve, Kindle Sleeve, Laptop Bag, Pannier Bag, Camera Bag, Diaper Bag, Customize a Bag, Timbuktu or Create a Custom Bag Made In the Mission District, San Francisco - Timbuk2 Bags.

It really didn't cost that much more then buying a similar bag from Staples and it has a super bright reflective material. When headlights hit it you can see it from anywhere.

Cool. I am going to add reflective strips but I like the bag. I actually have a timbuk2 bag from college but it does not have the reflective material

Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Was the headlight assembly hard to install? Any fabrication needed?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Are there good or better HID kits that will work for the first gen KLX?

Here is my tail/brake light thoughts:
The WOW Kit! LED Tail Light - KLR650 (all years) - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers
I installed the Happy Trails WOW kit in my KLX. Works great for the '06/07 tail light. Not sure about '09+. Dual Star also makes one.

I use the TrailTec X2 torch halogen headlight and used to run the rocker switch in the middle, but riding bumpy dirt trails at night it would not stay there.
Now have it wired so that the larger 4" bulb (which I think is the high beam) is on during low beam setting, and both 4" & 2" lamps light on high beam setting.
Also have a separate on/off headlight switch mounted on my "dash." I did not get the "dual sport" version of the X2 which has clipped headlights - mine
are probably not officially legal. Oh well. Someone (jhoffy I believe) mentioned that the 4" lamp could be easily replaced with a higher wattage unit and I
may do that someday, but I can tell you, the light from the X2 halogen is so much better than from either of my buddy's XR250s. Haven't compared X2 to
stock KLX light but should sometime.

I plan to do as above with the KLR and install two LED driving lights forming the "triangle of light" which I see lots of road riders speak highly of.
If I road the KLX on a lot of street, same setup.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been looking for a good set of led lights to add to my klx. Go with the 3 light set up. I figured the 3 will help me see and to be seen. I might buy these:

TWO Compact Motorcycle 2"-10 watt LED Driving /work Light! suzuki honda klr Jeep | eBay

Anyone have any suggests on smaller led lights?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Are there any bulb replacements that are worth anything in the stock headlight? That would certainly be the easiest. Even a brighter white would be more attention getting.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey_13
I've been looking for a good set of led lights to add to my klx. Go with the 3 light set up. I figured the 3 will help me see and to be seen. I might buy these:

TWO Compact Motorcycle 2"-10 watt LED Driving /work Light! suzuki honda klr Jeep | eBay

Anyone have any suggests on smaller led lights?
Yeah i was thinking one, even a bicycle light. Some are bright as heck. 3 is not road legal here.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Yeah i was thinking one, even a bicycle light. Some are bright as heck. 3 is not road legal here.
like this http://www.amazon.com/15224-Style-Xt...2876819&sr=1-5

or this:
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...ver-Star-Ultra

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS Show them off