SAFETY TIP: Check Your Brake Sensor Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: SAFETY TIP: Check Your Brake Sensor Wiring

Execllent pic Eric, but not because its an LED replacement bulb (although its an excellent pic of an LED replacement bulb!!!).

Notice in the picture that there are 2 "posts" sticking out near the base of the bulb (think battery terminals on Frankenstein's neck). But unlike Frankenstein's neck, the posts are not at the same height ... they are offset slightly. This is because the bulb is only supposed to go in one way to ensure that the 2 filamentsare connected properly as tail light & brake light.

I've seen some of these sockets that are so badly made that the bulb fits in either way, which would result in the same symptoms as bad wiring. So, even if you've wired it properly, check the bulb and socket to make sure that it is installed properly. (Installing it backwards, if its possible, will not harm anything ... the tail light & brake light just won't illuminate properly.)

If your wiring is faulty, I woudn't recommend that you see if you can install your bulb backwards, hoewever. Just because you can, doesn't mean its a good idea. Fix your wiring, instead.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
I had a little issue yesterday that resulted in me finding a wire disconnected from my front brake sensor. To be honest, I had never even noticed that the connection was there, much less that one of the wires was disconnected. The result was that my brake light was not getting brighter when I applied the front brake, so cars behind me did not know that I was braking. Not good.
Same thing happened to me quite a long time back. Somehow I noticed that my front brake wasn't making the brake light come on and traced it to the exact same problem.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I allways do a pre-check too while its warming up.

I thought about buying one of these.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi...ight_bulb2.htm

Old 03-28-2007, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

And tire pressure gang, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check tire pressure before you ride, especially if you ride both dirt and road....One good whack and slow leak could make for a very bad next ride.....(don't ask me how I know...[:'(])

Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i found that out the hard way on my mountain bike, ever get road rash from riding a pedal bike on asphalt? hurts....