SAFETY TIP: Check Your Brake Sensor Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Default SAFETY TIP: Check Your Brake Sensor Wiring

Just a small head's up. In case you did not notice it in my Acerbis taillight thread, I had a little issue yesterday that resulted in me finding a wire disconnected from my front brake sensor. To be honest, I had never even noticed that the connection was there, much less that one of the wires was disconnected. The result was that my brake light was not getting brighter when I applied the front brake, so cars behind me did not know that I was braking. Not good.

Anyway, in case you haven't noticed them, there are two small connections on the bottom of your front master cylinder - basically just below and in front of the kill switch. They look like they can come undone fairly easily if knocked, which is what I assume happened with mine. It would not be a bad idea to take a second to check those connections the next time you get on your bike.

My new favorite graphic. I'll be using the crap out of this for a little while. Sorry.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: SAFETY TIP: Check Your Brake Sensor Wiring

I'll check that out. But something that I do every time I get on the bike is to check all the turn signals, and that both brake levers actuate the brake light. I even catch my self waiting in traffic for a light to change looking behind me to see if the brake light is being actuated. I have been through 5 bulbs since installing the Acerbis DS tail light. I don't trust it. So do a safety check before you ride.....EVERY TIME!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and my friends and I use "The More You Know" all the time. And "Lowered Expectations" Its all good. [8D]

Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I'll check that out. But something that I do every time I get on the bike is to check all the turn signals, and that both brake levers actuate the brake light. I even catch my self waiting in traffic for a light to change looking behind me to see if the brake light is being actuated. I have been through 5 bulbs since installing the Acerbis DS tail light. I don't trust it. So do a safety check before you ride.....EVERY TIME!!!
The original taillight was rubber mounted for less vibration. The arcerbis mounts pretty solid. Probably hard on the bulbs. When I was mounting mine I was wondering about that but noone had ever mentioned any problems. I'll keep a closer eye on it now.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Same thing happened to me

Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM

I have been through 5 bulbs since installing the Acerbis DS tail light. I don't trust it. So do a safety check before you ride.....EVERY TIME!!!
I think Eric has had similar issues with going through bulbs on his Acerbis taillight. It sounds like this is good advice Deej.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ol guy

The original taillight was rubber mounted for less vibration. The arcerbis mounts pretty solid. Probably hard on the bulbs. When I was mounting mine I was wondering about that but noone had ever mentioned any problems. I'll keep a closer eye on it now.
Just looking out for ya, us old dudes need to stick together.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Checking fluid levels, stops lights (front & back), turn signals, hi/lo beam, mirros, and horn is my standard procedure during warm up. (I'm not **** about it, but they're easy checks to do while waiting ... )

Rubber mounting is good for filiment bulbs, but I'd still like to see if I can get the LED unit installed ... "Dam the vibration, Full speed with a LED!!!"

Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I also would like to get the LED pleaaaaaaaaaaaase some one try it so we can see.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

you guys do know that they make bulbs that will fit in that socket right......

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

They have them at parts stores too. just never got around to get one....

Quick Reply: SAFETY TIP: Check Your Brake Sensor Wiring