Is it safe to ride without the front chain guard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Is it safe to ride without the front chain guard?

I noticed today after a ride the master chain link looked a little shiny. As I looked closer I could see the top of the retention clip had been rubbed down. Nothing bad, but noticeable.

The master link and chain had been rubbing on the metal chain guard at the drive train. I must not have seeded it properly last week when I had it off. Here's a picture of the guard, you can clearly see how it has been worn down.

The chain looks fine other then a little rubbing on it. But the metal guard and the plastic cover need to be replaced. I'd like to know if it's safe riding the bike without the chain guard until I can get a new one. I put the plastic cover on which would keep my pant legs from getting eaten up in there.

Attached Thumbnails Is it safe to ride without the front chain guard?-photo.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

That metal part is supposed to save your engine block if your chain breaks.
Make sure your back wheel is straight.
Put the old one back on till you get a new one.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I dunno, back in the early 80s some guy came in the bike shop... Told us he heard of some guy who threw the chain on his BMW... Lopped off the top of the guy's head...

Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Make sure you have the guard on correctly. I put mine on wrong once and it rubbed like that or very similar. I had to do a little pounding to get is back straight. I run a 15T front sprocket with no interference. Maybe a difference with the old vs new version of this bike?

I've yet to hear of anyone breaking a chain on the KLX250. But that's why the guard is there.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I too have not heard of a klx losing a chain, but have you seen someone lose their toe because of no CS guard? Thank goodness for thick riding boots. But a guard is just that....protection for your feet firstly in my opinion.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I too have not heard of a klx losing a chain, but have you seen someone lose their toe because of no CS guard? Thank goodness for thick riding boots. But a guard is just that....protection for your feet firstly in my opinion.

I keep the metal case saver in place, but the plastic guard had to be deleted. When I ride in clay, that piece just holds in in and plugs up, jamming the chain full of clay which cannot be good. I'd definitely keep it on an SF or bike that doesn't ride into that crap!

Note to self: keep the toes out of there!

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-11-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, so other then the slim chance of losing a toe it sounds like I'll be fine for a week until I can get the parts. I looked online and the chain-guide is only $7 and $18 for the chain-cover. I'll try and get them locally first, but if not I'll order them online.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride without the guard for the same reason that IDRIDR does. The mud gets packed in there and starts coming out the holes on the side like play-doh. I did make up, and install, a heavy duty case saver to protect against a broke chain whacking the engine case.
STILL I always thing there is a possibility of getting your pant leg caught in there, with out the plastic cover on.
Dan

Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

with the 15t front...it didn't look like the chain guard would fit...you kind of have to place the guide in first on the center and top of the chain....put the plastic cover and screw in next...

Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
with the 15t front...it didn't look like the chain guard would fit...you kind of have to place the guide in first on the center and top of the chain....put the plastic cover and screw in next...
Interesting since I have a 15t to put on.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to ride without the front chain guard?