Sad Day---Winter Hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sad Day---Winter Hibernation

Sad day, I started putting my “STOCK” KLX250 up for the winter hibernation. I put some Blue Stabil in the tank and took it out for my last ride and to mix the Stabil up a little. The bike now has only about 460 miles on it and I started to get “on it” just a little. I noticed it started to break up 'a little" around 5 to 6k RPM, but it may be the nature of the beast. It was 45 degrees here yesterday and it took a long time starting. Anyway I guess the best way to describe it is that it’s loaded up. I remember years ago when I had a Kawasaki Triple “remember them? Great bike(s) and and unique sound. Those 2 strokes loved to foul plugs and load up. This is what I believe is happening on my bike. I checked the choke it was no on, but it’s strange that there is no mid choke just on or off, no intermittent setting.
Any suggestions?? Again maybe it’s normal? I’ll pull the plug later to see the color.
Thanks and take care
Stashu

Old 10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

pfft.... my KLX doesnt hibernate. Always ready for a nice day to ride!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

If your bike is bone stock you may have needed to warm it up more and that could be the stumble, In stock form the bikes aren't really rich so I dought you loaded it up and they sure aren't prone to foul a plug. But there could be other reasons for a mid rpm stumble but it looks like it will be next spring before you will know if it's a problem or not.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Remember that this bike stock or modded really hits its prime around 7500 rpm's.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ground wire?

Maybe do the ground wire mod near the regulator/rectifier(?) as mentioned elsewhere on this site. IIRC the modification is on page 7 of the appropriate thread. It is simple to perform with a soldering iron, 3" of wire w/ a ring terminal on one end, and an 8mm socket.

My bike has 490 miles now. I added the additional ground wire as shown in the thread https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...y-speed-34470/ before I have a problem. Give it a try and see if your stumble is eliminated .

Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
pfft.... my KLX doesnt hibernate. Always ready for a nice day to ride!
My thoughts exactly. My riding season ends on Dec. 31. The new season starts on Jan 1.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Stash, yep; I still have an H-1.
Not sure where you live, but your bike will thank you if you get out and ride it; even in the winter.
Personally? Based on your explanation, I would compare a fresh OE-heat range spec plug with another just one tick hotter. (Run each for about 15 min to 1/2 hour, just to compare.) Sometimes geography can have an effect on your mix and combustion.

And yes; OFFICIAL FORUM DISCLAIMER: playing with hotter plugs can have disastrous consequences. Go no more than one heat index hotter.

Last edited by jeffzx9; 10-31-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
My thoughts exactly. My riding season ends on Dec. 31. The new season starts on Jan 1.
My thoughts exactly. Well actually my mountain riding season is ending, but desert season is just starting.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stashu
I had a Kawasaki Triple “remember them? Great bike(s) and and unique sound.
My first bike was a Suz triple GT380 2 stroke. Remember it well. Should never have sold it.

Get the gear...ride all year.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM

I have a 2011 which will not start at temps below 45F?
I'm at sea level do I need the next size jet?

Quick Reply: Sad Day---Winter Hibernation