Running rich after backfire screen removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys for your help...no i haven't yet pulled the spark plug 2 see what it looks like,
I just know that it smells very rich while the bike is running and i am always checking gas milage 2 see what all my mods have done to it...very well could just be alittle throttle happy i guess...i will keep an eye on everything and post my findings. again thanks for the help....

Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hey...I just found a post over on T'talk on a late model KXF250F with the backfire screen removed that was dyno'd before and after. It had a slip-on and was jetted for that. The screen removal netted .04 of a horsepower. Now...before folding all your cards on this one, one might consider that an XR, KLX, and KLR for example aren't probably in the same class as that KX, but it makes one wonder. My KLR650 definitely required one step up on the main jet...detonation at WOT...but I didn't dyno it. The data I'd seen on XR's with the screen removed was from the mid to late 80's. I realize there are probably variables that will affect different bikes, but I thought I'd throw this out, since it's the only recent thing I could find on the issue.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

So what's the consensus?
I was looking for info on this, and saw this thread.
I removed mine last weekend, and I can't believe the difference in power. I had very little expectation, and I was pleasantly surprised. Your experience with poor MPG surprised me, until I remembered that I ran out of gas on my way to the gas station on reserve. Normally I would have made it with gas to spare. I think it's the combination of more power, and the fact that I'm really enjoying this newfound power.