running with no airbox lid

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Default running with no airbox lid

Hello everyone,
It's been a while.
Due to my job ,I travel oversea's to china about 5 times a year.
I just got back , I have been there about a month.
I was going through some pretty old post while over there.
I ran into one about running no airbox lid.

My question is ,,,would my bike run better with no airbox lid even if I have no other mod done to it ?

Would it couse some sort of harm ?

Or is this idea completely no good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Default RE: running with no airbox lid

Your bike will not run correctly with the airbox lid off if you are running stock jetting.

I just found that out when installing my pumper carb. It was jetted similarly to the stock CVK. I had to put the airbox lid back on and also had to go back to a small snorkle, otherwise it was very lean.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Just to add to what Marty was saying. If you properly jet the carb and get a better flowing exhaust, there are power gains to be had from removing the airbox lid...anywhere from 2-3HP over stock. If you're gonna unplug it though, might as well enlarge the engine breather restriction -at the air cleaner box- to 3/8" or about 9.5mm. This will allow the piston to come down easier.

Take a look at what jettng others are using in order to get it right for your situation. Most are running AT LEAST a 128 main jet if the airbox lid is removed. The stock bike comes with a 118 jet. Running with the lid removed with stock jetting can cause heat damage to your engine.

ORIGINAL: dbdanny

Hello everyone,
It's been a while.
Due to my job ,I travel oversea's to china about 5 times a year.
I just got back , I have been there about a month.
I was going through some pretty old post while over there.
I ran into one about running no airbox lid.

My question is ,,,would my bike run better with no airbox lid even if I have no other mod done to it ?

Would it couse some sort of harm ?

Or is this idea completely no good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: tremor38

If you're gonna unplug it though, might as well enlarge the engine breather restriction -at the air cleaner box- to 3/8" or about 9.5mm. This will allow the piston to come down easier.

Hey, that's my reasoning for running the PCV device. No pressure to move on the down stroke. I'm going to go one step further though. I am going to remove the top of the PCV being connected to the airbox and put a breather on it and then vent the breather to the atmosphere.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty
.... I am going to remove the top of the PCV being connected to the airbox and put a breather on it and then vent the breather to the atmosphere.
You make it sound all technical and stuff.... lol

Old 12-11-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's a good idea. I might just join the 'PCV gang" before the winter is over.

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: tremor38

If you're gonna unplug it though, might as well enlarge the engine breather restriction -at the air cleaner box- to 3/8" or about 9.5mm. This will allow the piston to come down easier.

Hey, that's my reasoning for running the PCV device. No pressure to move on the down stroke. I'm going to go one step further though. I am going to remove the top of the PCV being connected to the airbox and put a breather on it and then vent the breather to the atmosphere.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

well this mod came from the dyno jet kit stage 2/3 so when you get the dyno jet kit it gives the needle and the jets to jet your carb then you just take the air box lid off for more air to get in the engine so. either way really but just opening it will make you bike run way to lean.