Running a chain with two master links?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Running a chain with two master links?

It looks like I'll be commuting a fair amount this summer, so riding the klx to and from work will save me lots of money on gas. The problem is, my bike is geared down to 14/49, which means uncomfortably high rpms above 50 or so.

My idea, to save effort, is swap rear sprockets depending on what riding I'll be doing, and just shortening or lengthening the chain to match. Running two master links would allow me to do this fairly easily, as long as I set the length between the two correctly.

I thought about just changing the front sprocket, but since I don't have an impact driver that could be a hassle. Is there an easy/cheap way to get some sort of decent impact driver setup?

If I wanted to swap the c/s sprocket, I could regear to 13/45, then swap the 13 for a 15 when necessary.

Another option would just be to get two chains for the different sprockets, which actually might be equally easy.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by cjcrashesalot; 03-29-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

The more you mess with master link clips the more likely you'll be to have a failure.

I haven't tried it myself but guys have said they've had no problem with having the cs sprocket nut tightened with just a 1/2" drive ratchet, a good snug and a couple of tangs on the washer bent over. That way you can swap the sprocket just with hand tools. Just have spare tab washers to keep that safety fresh. There really shouldn't be any forces trying to undo that nut, so why is it torqued to 90 ft-lbs?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The impact wrench on my c/s nut didn't work. Instead, I put a round bar in one hole of the rear sprocket and lock it down against the swingarm. Then I just used good pressure (may have stood on) the breaker bar on the front nut and it broke lose pretty easily. This did muck up the paint on the swing arm, so you might want to put a little protection between the bar and the swingarm. Not to be done with aluminum sprocket (but your stock should be steel).

I don't know what to tell you about two master links. Why not?

I run 13, 14, and 15 up front with a 49 in rear and a 110-link chain. All three combination work fine without any chain-link removal or addition.

Edit: I missed the 49 rear sprocket, which I expect is not stock. If it's aluminum, careful with the method described above. If steel, go for it. Also search around here as someone uses another method to loosen the c/s nut with a spare piece of chain and some other parts that's fine with an aluminum rear sprocket.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-29-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: edit noted above
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
There really shouldn't be any forces trying to undo that nut, so why is it torqued to 90 ft-lbs?
I thought the manual only said 76 ft-lbs but may have that wrong. That's what I take mine to, and as described above, use only hand tools with no heartache or busted knuckles.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I've ran two masters on a couple of bikes with no issues in the past. I had an old Harley that had two rear sprockets mounted one on top of the other for a quick change and it came out new like that.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Remember the old honda trail 90s with the high/low range selector?

I find that stock gearing is pretty good on the trails and better on the freeway. A decent compromise.

Why not go back to stock?

Oh and you can buy electric impact drivers, maybe even battery powered ones.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I've run 2 master links on my 250 2stroke for 150 offroad miles and it held up without an issue, making sure it is installed correctly. On the road with a stock or near stock klx should be no problem. Just carry some spares...ymmv.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Oh and you can buy electric impact drivers, maybe even battery powered ones.
We whacked away on mine for three nights with an impact driver with no movement, so I kept my search up on this forum and found the bar-in-the-sprocket-against-the-swing arm trick. Impact drivers are great to have, but it may not solve the problem. They work for some...not others. Kawa must have put that red lock-tite on mine with 150 ft-lbs of torque!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I have to wonder kind of impact and what kind of air pressure you all had that would not take them off? I would bet if I could not remove your nut, I'll be able to hand you your nut with some of the output shaft on it within 60 seconds

LINKIN5 - What was the year and model of that Harley? I ask because I recall a guy from about the early 80's that had an older harley at that time that I think was some sort of Harley dual-sport and I recall him showing me 2 rear sprockets. I've asked other guys that were "into" harley bikes about that and they told me I was wrong and it had to have been a Husky or something....

Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses!

After some internal debate, I've decided two master links is not the easiest solution. And while I trust the strength of a master link, it may become weakened after repeatedly taking it apart and reinstalling it.

I could go back to stock, but there are some pretty steep, tight trails in this state where the stock gearing just doesn't cut it.

My current plan: get a new 45t rear sprocket, and alternate between a 13t and a 15t up front. 15/45 is the same as stock, while 13/45 is nearly as low as I have currently.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have to mess with chain length between those two c/s sprockets, just adjust the tensioners.

If I really want taller gearing, I could just just pop the stock 42t on the back with the 15 up front. Either way, with 13,14 and 15t c/s sprockets and 42,45 and 49 rear sprockets, I should be able to gear the bike pretty much any way I need

Quick Reply: Running a chain with two master links?