Rubber turn signal mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rubber turn signal mount

Is it the link that's making the page too wide? Or do I need to refresh?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 PM

Deej, I think you are right, the link is what is forcing the page so wide. It is very annoying when that happens with a link or a wide pic.

As for the stock turn signals, I am with you. I don't like their vulnerability any more than the next guy, but I am very hesitant to compromise the visibility and disguishability of the blinkers. It's dangerous enough out there without making it harder for cars to see what we are trying to do.

I will probably get a set of those rubber strips to approximate a break-away setup, but other than that I am going to stick with the elephant ear signals.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yep, I like my big ole bright-*** signals... Those rubber things look like a good idea.
I'm trying to think of something else similar that would be cheap or free...
That's pretty steep for two little pieces o rubber.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Yep, I like my big ole bright-*** signals... Those rubber things look like a good idea.
I'm trying to think of something else similar that would be cheap or free...
That's pretty steep for two little pieces o rubber.
You may want to look into automotive exhaust hanger clamps. Some of them have a rubber anti-vibration strap that may be of similar size and should be just, if not more, durable.

Other ideas: with some snips/cutters, powered cutter and drill and some creativity, you may be able to make your own from the following:

1) Used tire sidewall. Automotive, motorcycle or ATV. Pick one with the right thickness and cut to size and drill the mounting holes. Polyester reinforced may be easier to work with then steel belted, though, most have polyester sidewalls with steel belting under the tread area.

2) Constant Velocity Transmission belt from an ATV, they are reinforced and may have just the right amount of stiffness/flexibility. A used one may work, a new one would cost more then these.

3) Rubber coolant hoses, or other various rubber parts available at an automotive shop. Check out the hardware shop, as well.

Nifty idea and cheap enough product to prevent most folks from making their own home brewed replacement. It's right in there with, well, I could spend some time to make my own, or, just pay the $6.95 a pop and not have to deal with it. Though, I would have priced them lower, more like $3.00 for the pair, if I was marketing them, if production costs let me do so.

I wonder how they stand up to UV/sunlight exposure. I had a VW Baja that used rubber hood straps to keep the hood and trunk closed and I would have to replace them yearly, otherwise they would crack and break off. Nothing like having your hood pop open on you at 35 MPH and not being able to see under the hood edge. Luckily, I wasn't going any faster, otherwise, it may have just kept going. I would have been able to see fine, but, the fiberglass hood would have been toast. =)

Thanks for the links to this, though. I may replicate them for my bike. My dad just used the Buell signals (about $6 each at your local Buell dealer) for his bike, but, you have to work with the electronics, or, they blink slow, like his. He doesn't worry about it, since we rarely see street use.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Great ideas CRT_Leech... There is a pair on eBay right now with free shipping...
I would buy em, but since I'm in Canada I'llprobably get stuck wth addnl shipping costs, plus taxes at the border etc.
They'll probably end up costing me over $20 CDN by the time I get em...

Plus I get some satisfaction out of fabbing my own parts.