Route Planning

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Route Planning

What's the best way to build a route, and then export to phone or GPS?

I'm mapping out some routes for this summer. They will be a combination of asphalt, gravel roads, forest roads, atv trails, and single track. I've not found a good way to build the map virtually before leaving, and then exporting to my phone (which also serves as my primary mapping device).

To be clear, I do study maps before I leave and know quite well where I'm going (which roads to ride, where junctions exist and which direction to turn, etc.). The map building is perhaps more important to comprehend distance/range between fuel stops - which is critically important where I'm headed.

Am definitely interested in learning some of the tools and techniques that y'all have developed.

TIA

Old 03-14-2020, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't use my phone as primary navigation tool.
That said I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64s for navigation on my KLX250S
Using free Garmin Basecamp software I can make routes and tracks and upload them to the GPS and/or send the GPS files to someone else
The routes are in .gpx format
If your phone will accept .gpx files maybe that will work for you
There are also free OsmAnd worldwide maps that can be downloaded to your phone that will allow mapping on your phone
The paid app OsmAnd+ allows you to create routes to use with the maps

Old 03-15-2020, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I use LocusMap Pro ($~10) on my phone. Good trip planner with auto routable or manual track building on free maps. You can download the maps (I use the USGS ones) for offline use including download along a track. It has a good .gpx export too for use with my garmin as well as .gpx import.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, guys, for both of these suggestions. I'll investigate them each.

Do single track motorcycle trails show up on these two options? I suspect major roadways are available, but what about single tracks, forest roads, and the like?

Old 03-15-2020, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

On Locus you can used scanned USGS maps which show many 4WD trails and some single track, some are routable meaning when you draw a track, it will snap to the turns. I set the routing to mountain bike since it seems to work on some places were the car setting doesn't (could be my imagination). Others are not routable, but you can use the manual draw option and more points to create a track. If the scanned maps don't show the road or trail, I use the USGS satellite maps and that will let you see the path as long as it's not a wooded area and then those are also sometimes routable and sometimes not.

I'm out west and therefore usually doing tracks through the desert where trees aren't issue. Since it has gpx import you can usually find state OHV tracks or tracks from local clubs or riders too. The jeep or mountain bike communities have many websites with tracks, in the case of mountain bike tracks, just make sure their open to motorized travel.

There's a free version of the app, I'm not sure which features it doesn't have, might be the ability to download maps for offline, but I'm sure the app description clarifies. I've been using for a few years and it's really good, only thing that isn't good at is directions in town or finding a gas station where Google maps is much better.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Kind of off subject, but last year when I toured the Alps I used Kurviger to find the good roads. There are four options, from fast and straight to very curvy, plus advanced selections for avoiding main roads, unpaved roads, etc.

https://kurviger.de/en

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-15-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You can use google earth, make some routes, then change them to something your device will see.
I don't know anywhere you can get ST Tracks, if you find one post it please.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I pair my phone with my pc and use google maps. I create a rectangle over desired area and you can right click and send to phone. I read good reviews on the Garmin Montana, the gps's for hunters are supposed to show the most trails and guide you through wilderness. The Garmin doesn't rely on cell towers but uses both US and Russian satellites for triangulation. I bought a Kyocera I think Duraforce phone for like $40 on eBay, it is water resistant. If I loose it no biggie. You don't have to have a sim card or phone plan to be able to use the GPS features which is really nice. Never tried it but I believe you can still call 911. That is the cheapest solution I have found...

Last edited by reinigef; 03-17-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 PM

I've found the easiest way is to use subscription apps like REVER or Scenic.

Scenic is nice because you can plan the routes in Furkot (furkot.com) and just import it. Google is tricky because of the limited number of waypoints you can do.

Rever is super easy if you have the .gpx files -- and it has a bunch of pre-loaded stuff (like the BDRs etc)