Rough running 06 KLX 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, one more last one. As far as I know the needle is the stock needle and there are no washers on it. I believe the parts are all in order according to the Kawasaki parts diagram, but I will double check again. I need to buy a service manual for this baby so I have more info. Sorry to be a pain, but I am stumped! I am probably missing something, but I can't see what.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I have verified that the CDI does not care at all of the TPS sensor. In an ideal world, it would advance timing a little when at part throttle, but it does not. This is verified on a test bench with trigger signals simulating real operating conditions.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Man I hate those. Does the CDI get its power from the stator on a separate circuit or from the same one as the battery? Reason I ask, is that I restored a CX500 that had 2 separate wires from the stator (separate windings) to the CDI. Bike ran like crap. replaced coils/cdi (now have a spare ) and wires, rebuilt carbs, ...etc. Turned out the stator was intermittent JUST for the power to the CDI. Charged the battery fine Dunno if this bike has a similar setup, but the pain was tremendous.... Oh, and on a CX500, step one to replace the stator was "remove engine from bike"... good luck.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbarchi
Does the CDI get its power from the stator on a separate circuit or from the same one as the battery?.
It's powered directly from the battery. Through a fuse and main ignition switch, that is.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, a new and relatively expensive breakthrough. I removed and disassembled the carb for the 5th time today and removed the Main Jet Tube and lo and behold the part called the Needle jet (part #16017-1439) was missing. I called the dealer and double checked and this is probably why I can't get it to run right. Boy, when you buy some one elses junk and try to fix it BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Anyhow 27.50 for a 5 gram piece of brass! Shades of the "I'm in the wrong business" ! Anyhow, when it arrives in about 10 days I will get back to you and let you know the results. Hope this is the problem. Thanks for all the input.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahhh, the 'ol 16017 removal for frustration trick, eh.... Had to pull out the manual to see what the heck you were talking about.... glad it was only a 30 cent part (ha ha)....

Ron

Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ouch!...nearly the price of gold in that brass piece. I wonder what that needle jet would cost from Keihin or one of the other carb parts retailers out there?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I looked for that part today on a bunch of sites and could not find it!!! I must be looking in the wrong places. Lots of jets and jet holding tubes, but not the needle jet? Pretty strange. I have learned a lot about carbs from this one little missing part, a very good education. Looking forward to learning more about this bike and others.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

You can have the one I took out of mine and replace with a dynojet.

David

Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Dave,
I don't know if I can cancel the order from yesterday. I could call tomorrow. Is the part number the same as I listed? Man, why didn't I think about asking one of you guys? Anyhow, let me know and I will try to cancel it. If you can mail it to me that would be great,it would still get here before the other even arrives at the dealer. my email is steves@smsmithco.com if you email me I will send you my address.

This site is awesome. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rough running 06 KLX 250