Rough running 06 KLX 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rough running 06 KLX 250

Hey guys, I am new to the forum but love it. Anyhow, I have a 06 klx250 that I can not make run worth a crud. When I bought the bike it had been run at 9000 ft altitude so was jetted with a 108 main and was way to lean at my alt of 1300 ft. I have installed the stock jet of 118 and cleaned the terribly old fuel from all parts involved.(the pilot jet is 35 ) Everything appears clean in the carb, but it will not run smooth, it will rev up and down on it's own and flutter rather than running smooth. I have had the carb out and apart to clean and check 3 times. It may be sucking air in the choke (fuel enricher) but I can't really tell. I have owned an 07 and a 09 and sold them unfortunately so I am bummed with this bike. Only 600 miles on the bike but was beat terribly bad. What am I missing. I have removed the smog crap and capped the holes also. Help.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Smith aka Midnightminer

2006 KLX250
1986 Honda Reflex 200
2006 Suzuki
DR200SE
1973 Suzuki GT550

Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 AM

when I rejetted my carb, I was in a hurry and installed the needle wrong. That made the bike extremely rich and run rough. So then I took the time and put back together right and replaced the spark plug and it ran like a champ. So I dont know if you checked the spark plug that might be the problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! The needle is in properly and I did clean the plug but have not replaced it. I will try that, but I suspect their is more of a air leak or carb issue, just don't know where to look.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

did you manually test the slide in the carb after re-assembly ?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

also, was the carb, mod'ed? How did it run with the 108 in it? If you revert back to that, does the variance go away (granted it will run crappy, but is it consistent?) If it is not consistent, you have another problem that you may have created. The variation in idle seems like a leak somewhere........ you can use the wd40 check and spray around likely leak spots and if the engine revs up.... ya found it.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! The slide moved freely by hand in the carb, but how do I test it manually once assembled? Today I will test it with WD40, especially the choke area. I had done this previously but will do it again. If no results from this I will remove the 118 and replace with the 108 and check it out. Other than jetting I don't believe the carb was mod'ed other than drilling the slide with the 7/64 bit. I will let you know the results this evening if possible.

thanks again!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

OK Guys. I ran the bike today and WD40 all around the carb, including boot to the engine, choke, etc. No change. Runs poorly, cleaned the plug very well, no difference. So..I am half through removing the carb and remember to ask: What does the throttle sensor do exactly, and could it be the culprit? I will finish removing the carb and disassemble it again either way so I am totally familiar with it. Thanks for the tips so far.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I can't see how that throttle sensor would yield those symptoms. It signals the timing to alter a few degrees in relation to throttle position. It probably takes a dyno to test for the difference this device influences the performance. I don't think it's anything you can feel through the seat of your pants.

It sounds like you've addressed most of the carb issues, but do you know what your fuel level is? Are you sure the plastic needle holder and needle are mated properly and the washers are in place?...assuming it's not the OEM needle?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd put a new plug in it they're cheap and would take it out of the equation.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, last post. Removed carb, cleaned every orfice, checked the jets, all clean. Blew carb cleaner throught everything including jets. Took out choke, checked, cleaned. Checked slide, it is free and slides smooth. PUt it all back together and it runs for crap. Starts fine, dogs a little if you gas it, but will rev up if you play with it. Also will sputter, then rev, then slow down. Very strange. I give up. I unhooked the carb sensor and no difference. The main jet is new 118, the pilot is the old 35 which is clear and seems fine. It is really frustrating when you do this and it still won't run. Is there some secret passage in this carb I can't find. The fuel bowl is full so float is probably doing it's job. Anybody have a actual blow up of the carb. My parts list does not show the internal passages.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rough running 06 KLX 250