Rough day in the mud.....I suck

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
If this hurts feelings, too bad....its more about the rider than the bike. I had to ride my buddies pimped out husaberg up a hill for him over the weekend. I dont care if you have stock tires with 20 psi in them. The bike can go anywhere. Would it go easier with better tires and lower psi, sure. But i ran 18 psi for years in my bike before gettin rimlocks. Until i spun the tire at 18lbs. Just practice. ride more. Challenge yourself, push yourself. Try things you think you cant do. There isnt anything i wont try. Except maybe vertical hill climbs, but ill do damn close. If your scared to crash or get hurt maybe you shouldnt be riding a dirt bike. If im limping around at work on monday i know i had a great weekend.
No feelings hurt.......I know my skills are not what yours or others around here are.......that's why I go to this park and attempt to learn and yes I fall off......but I get back on. I may not be very good, but at least I'm persistent........at least that's what my buddies tell me.

It's a good possibility that I may never be worth a damn.........but I generally tend to have some fun. I would just like my skills to get to a level that I can go participate in some of the DS rides around without inconveniencing anyone.

There was a ride a couple of years ago that I went on down in Tennessee.....front tire washed and I went over the bars and broke my shoulder. When I went to work on Monday morning, one of my co-workers had broken his shoulder........identical shoulder......identical injury. Only thing was that he tripped over a laundry basket and fell.......that was the story he got to tell.........I had a much better story.

Thanks for your help........I'll keep riding......learning........and falling, but most of all I will follow your advice and keep riding.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
No feelings hurt.......I know my skills are not what yours or others around here are.......that's why I go to this park and attempt to learn and yes I fall off......but I get back on. I may not be very good, but at least I'm persistent........at least that's what my buddies tell me.

It's a good possibility that I may never be worth a damn.........but I generally tend to have some fun. I would just like my skills to get to a level that I can go participate in some of the DS rides around without inconveniencing anyone.

There was a ride a couple of years ago that I went on down in Tennessee.....front tire washed and I went over the bars and broke my shoulder. When I went to work on Monday morning, one of my co-workers had broken his shoulder........identical shoulder......identical injury. Only thing was that he tripped over a laundry basket and fell.......that was the story he got to tell.........I had a much better story.

Thanks for your help........I'll keep riding......learning........and falling, but most of all I will follow your advice and keep riding.
Exactly, thats what its about. Everyone of us can sit here and type how to be a better rider. But you need to go out and just ride, as long as you are having fun thats all that matters. People think im crazy when i tell them if i die on my bike ill die happy. Get out there and ride. Too many people spend so much money and time to make their bike faster. when they are avoiding the real problem. Them. Ride. Go fast. Fall. Get up. Ride more. Repeat. I crash almost every time i ride the KLX, not because im not a good rider, but because i push it. I want to be fast, i want to be better. I like shocking people on what i can do on the "puny" KLX that they cant do on their 3 times more expensive bike. I do ride my mountain bike on trails too, surprisingly a MTN bike is harder to trail ride. So i chock up some of my abilities to MTN biking.

I was on my KLR at a restaurant one day waiting for the rest of my family to eat. I was out waiting by it. A mom and 14-16 year old girl came out and she didnt realize i was there and she looks my bike over and says " i dont know how they think thats safe" Standing right there i saw and heard her and said: "Its not safe what's so ever, but thats why i like it." She looked suprised i was there and then gave me a dirty look got in her car and left.

Listen at 1:39 to 2:20.... that says it all... but watch the whole thing.
Fifty Years of Kicks - Motorcycle Documentary (full-length) - YouTube

Last edited by EMS_0525; 05-08-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

If im limping around at work on monday i know i had a great weekend.

I was limping around on Monday. Still limping today with the bonus of having a rainbow color right shinn.
When it happened my kid asked if I was OK. I told him I wasn't going to look until we were done riding.
I'm still smiling.
Be ready to ride this weekend.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

That is an awesome video.......maybe one of the best youtube documentaries that I have seen.

Noteworthy quotes:

Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing. --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"get on with ridin or get on with dyin." --Paul Rodin

Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I saw this awhile ago and really liked it too. I think im going to get the word RIDE tattooed on me very soon.

Ride. The all encompassing word for me. Ride on, ride through it all. Ride dirt, ride street, ride snow or ride the wave; ride with it or ride against it. Ride hard and ride fast, ride like a maniac or leave the drama behind and choose to ride with lightness, but always ride with commitment and always tide tough. Life is a ride. Ride two or ride four, ride off, ride away, don’t ever give in, just ride. Know that when **** gets tough, you will always ride it out. Ride forever. Ride smart. Ride with honor. Never let off. Ride.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski

We were all there at one point. You have the right attitude. Just never stop learning and educating yourself, and practicing proper technique. Something that really helped me a lot is racing. Eric is right, try things you don't think you can do, chances are, you really can, you just need the confidence to try it. Racing does that. You come upon obstacles and terrain so fast that you don't have time to second guess yourself or over think it. Just pick a line quickly, and make it work. You will be surprised at what you are capable of. I've done stuff in races that I would never even have attempted just trail riding. Also, body position is key, as well as looking ahead so you can prepare for that upcoming turn, hill, whatever. Getting your body in the right position makes all the difference in the world. Also, get up on the pegs as much as you can and grip the bike with your knees in the fast stuff, it will really stabilize the bike, but let it be loose in the tighter stuff so you can tip side to side. Being up on the pegs allows you to move forward and backwards on the bike shifting your weight to suit the situation very quickly. Also, practice braking drills, especially the front brake. Get to where you can do a controlled nose wheelie. Once you get confident you can stop on a dime, you can pick up your speed without worrying about blowing corners, etc. Always cover the clutch and front brake with a finger, have it there ready at all times. Just learn to ride that way at all times and be ready to use them. There's a huge amount to learn for a beginner, but don't give up, it will all come, it just takes practice and education. Just remember to learn the proper technique first, and then practice *That*. If you practice the wrong technique, you're just learning bad habits. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
No matter what air pressure you are at, the D605's will not grip in the mud.
Lies, damned lies once I aired down the 605's did the job

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I saw this awhile ago and really liked it too. I think im going to get the word RIDE tattooed on me very soon.

Ride. The all encompassing word for me. Ride on, ride through it all. Ride dirt, ride street, ride snow or ride the wave; ride with it or ride against it. Ride hard and ride fast, ride like a maniac or leave the drama behind and choose to ride with lightness, but always ride with commitment and always tide tough. Life is a ride. Ride two or ride four, ride off, ride away, don’t ever give in, just ride. Know that when **** gets tough, you will always ride it out. Ride forever. Ride smart. Ride with honor. Never let off. Ride.
Wow Eric, you're waxing all philosophical, making us Yinzers proud.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
There's a huge amount to learn for a beginner, but don't give up, it will all come, it just takes practice and education. Just remember to learn the proper technique first, and then practice *That*. If you practice the wrong technique, you're just learning bad habits. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Don't I know it......I'm 48 years old and bought my first motorcycle two years ago......a KLR. Got to riding and decided I would like to try more trail riding etc. my riding buddy, while having ridden for the better part of his life, was in to speed bikes. He rode NESBA track days. He has since sold the speed triple and bought a husqy te310........so we both are long on want to, but short on dirt experience.

I am still as slow as cold molasses.........which is what keeps me from venturing out and going to rides......as much as i want to. The last thing I want to do is inconvenience anyone.

I'll keep riding.......and see what that gets me. Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I don't have a clue on the tire options, but stay loose and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Rough day in the mud.....I suck