Rode my KLX for the 1st time in a few years....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rode my KLX for the 1st time in a few years....

.....and....its not as much fun as it used to be.. Ive owned a few sportbikes and currently have a Ninja 650R. I just felt disappointed So anyone have something more road oriented and want a KLX250S?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by espacef1fan
.....and....its not as much fun as it used to be.. Ive owned a few sportbikes and currently have a Ninja 650R. I just felt disappointed So anyone have something more road oriented and want a KLX250S?
You ought to post up a location.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by espacef1fan
That's too bad, but at least maybe the KLX will go on to be enjoyed by someone else. Where were you riding the KLX? Have you ridden off road much? I just love how versatile this bike is. I can commute to work on it, go whip through the twisties, dual sportin' on the logging roads, cruise the dunes and the beach, hammer out some gnarly single track...etc. etc...

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm... i've found the KLX to be the opposite for me. After years of sportbikes I have more fun on my dos fiddy. Probably because i can actually go full throttle through a whole gear without breaking the speed limit on the highway.

My semi-tard KLX is hands down the most fun i've ever had on a road legal bike.

Good luck with whatever you deciede to do though.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Hmm... i've found the KLX to be the opposite for me.

My semi-tard KLX is hands down the most fun i've ever had on a road legal bike.

Good luck with whatever you deciede to do though.
Here-He, Here-he.
The past few weeks i've had a couple pissed off BMW's sittin' in garage.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Why would you expect a KLX250S to ride like a street bike? I have a scooter and I never expect it to ride like my KLX.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont have alot of offroad areas around me since after I moved. I also dont expect it to be a streetbike but I think its the dirtbike properties that bothered me, or it could be the inherant design.

Everything feels "cheap" compared to the Ninja Im riding also. Like the shifter and clutch feel a little vague.

Im totally ok with the slippery knobbies and such..thats kinda fun on the street..lol...

BTW I'm near Nashville.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe if I mod it I might like it more?

Is the shift star that much better on the newer bikes that it improves shift feel?

Also, besides going to look on EBAY I was wondering if anyone here had a complete, STOCK KLX 300 exhaust or a klx 250 slip on?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Also a KLX250SF sounds like it might be a nice change, what is involved in getting my bike to that spec?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure what year your bike is, but mine is an '07 and the shifting has always worked perfectly. I will say that my bike became much more entertaining after putting on an FMF exhaust system, jet kit, Twinair air filter, and airbox lid delete. I also replaced the steering head bearings, since it turned out the stock ones were undergreased, and had become trashed. Oh, and the aftermarket handlebars made a huge difference in the ergonomic feel of the bike, opening up the cockpit and making stand up riding much easier. The KLX definitely needs a bit of customizing to make it your own and bring out the true nature of the bike.

Quick Reply: Rode my KLX for the 1st time in a few years....