RockyMountainATV sends a bearing w/o protective oil, they say it's OK

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I called RMATV today to see what was going on with the two items I was questioning. ( they were supposed to call me yesterday) The same guy I talked to Wed. told me today, that they were going to replace or refund both items, whichever way I wanted it. ( the seal they sent me was their last, and the new one would be back ordered ) I told him to go ahead and order me some new parts, I can wait.
I have always had good experiences with RMATV so the initial refusal to cover the questionable parts threw me off. After today's phone call I think they have redeemed themselves.
Dan
Darnit! I hate a happy ending. I was hoping for unhappiness, cursing, and gnashing of teeth.

Glad they're taking care of you, dan.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, the drama.

I'm exhausted.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Wait, wait...it's not over yet. The new parts are not in Dan's hands and in primo condition. This is just like a plot twist in a horror flick...finally, you think everything is OK, but then a hand reaches up from behind the couch and grabs your neck! Oh I'm going to scream like a girl!

Ummm...never mind, good luck with the new parts, Dan, and I'm glad to hear RM is making good on the deal.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm still gonna keep my panties in a bunch til he gets them.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Good for you Dan! *Definitely the right thing for everyone involved.

The redneck in me says that the chance of the bearing failing is very low, so what's the problem? *The Project Manager in me however says that the risks associated with a failure are very high therefore best to DIRTT (do it right this time)!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
Wait, wait...it's not over yet. The new parts are not in Dan's hands and in primo condition. This is just like a plot twist in a horror flick...finally, you think everything is OK, but then a hand reaches up from behind the couch and grabs your neck! Oh I'm going to scream like a girl!

Ummm...never mind, good luck with the new parts, Dan, and I'm glad to hear RM is making good on the deal.
Yep...for the comparitive "hand from behind the couch" moment in dan's case, I'm betting on dan opening the alleged new bearing only to find that it's the old bearing just drizzled in some oil and wrapped in some oily paper to look like "factory fresh". Oh the humanity!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm keeping a positive attitude that it will all turn out OK. I still have the questionable parts in hand, and I also have an email with a tracking # for the replacement parts.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I'm keeping a positive attitude that it will all turn out OK. I still have the questionable parts in hand, and I also have an email with a tracking # for the replacement parts.
Keep wishing, dan. So...the secondary horror scenario will be dan's "new" parts being air shipped on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. We know how that will turn out.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Keep wishing, dan. So...the secondary horror scenario will be dan's "new" parts being air shipped on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. We know how that will turn out.
Hahaha!

In all seriousness though, It's my understanding that the problem with the 787 is the Li-Ion batteries it employs combined with the vibrations of the plane. It's got me wondering how well-suited Li-Ion is for motorcycle applications? Will we begin to see underseat fires on bikes too?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Hahaha!

In all seriousness though, It's my understanding that the problem with the 787 is the Li-Ion batteries it employs combined with the vibrations of the plane. It's got me wondering how well-suited Li-Ion is for motorcycle applications? Will we begin to see underseat fires on bikes too?
I believe it's a heat dissipation issue, and the fact that they used the same battery technology as the auto industry (which has already had similar issues with the fires). The batteries can be easily molded to ideal shapes that fit within the plan... however as the batteries grow in size and length, the centers are having heat dissipation issues I believe. Additionally since lithium batteries generate their own oxidizer as they burn, the fires are pretty much uncontrollable.

Quick Reply: RockyMountainATV sends a bearing w/o protective oil, they say it's OK