Risks of lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

For your weight, I gotta agree with TNC. Get your spring right, then sag correct, and go from there by trying to get used to it, shaving seat, lowering links or whatever. I'm 200 lbs, and the proper spring alone made a world of difference.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the confidence that a lower bike can give a newer rider. To that end, I'd suggest that any compromise to handling of lowering links is worth it in the short run. After you've become more accustomed to the idea of riding off road almost as though you are riding a horse (ie high up off the ground), I'd suggest raising the bike again to gain back all the clearance and geometry of the intended setup.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'8" and 185lbs. I'm new to dirt and dumped it a few time just because I couldn't get good footing. I lowered mine with Burkhart links.

Kawasaki Dual Sport : burkhartcycle.com, Motorcycle Parts and Accessories

It seems the guy is hit or miss with actually shipping product, but he's really good at keeping your money. For $30 bucks shipped I gave it a shot. I put it on my cc so I could contest the charges if he didn't ship. I got them in 3 days.

Lowering made the already soft rear spring ride like a sponge. For street riding it was fine, but in the dirt I was always bottoming out... but I like to jump stuff. Tore up the chain roller in the process. I used them as training wheels for 6 months and then put the stock links back on. A stiffer spring would have solved it, but I knew I needed the ground clearance back. You really just need to learn to pick a side to put your foot down when you stop.

Last edited by Lotrat; 02-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

soft rear is not okay on the street....that's how i got my freeway wiggle and tank slapper...my fork is dropped to the edge for maximum height....shorter dog bones for over 1 inch rise....and, i took it to get front and rear adjusted for my weight professionally....the klx250sf is stable at almost any speed now....love it...

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Lowering made the already soft rear spring ride like a sponge. For street riding it was fine, but in the dirt I was always bottoming out...

Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
For your weight, I gotta agree with TNC. Get your spring right, then sag correct, and go from there by trying to get used to it, shaving seat, lowering links or whatever. I'm 200 lbs, and the proper spring alone made a world of difference.
Is there a site that you or TNC could give about springs or would my local dealer hopefully be able to assist with this?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM

For just a spring your dealer should be able to assist. I went ahead and had John at Moto-Pro set mine up. Also on that site, you can get your springs calcualted, to give you an idea of what you need.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
soft rear is not okay on the street....that's how i got my freeway wiggle and tank slapper...my fork is dropped to the edge for maximum height....shorter dog bones for over 1 inch rise....and, i took it to get front and rear adjusted for my weight professionally....the klx250sf is stable at almost any speed now....love it...

I guess it depends on what you are trying to get the bike to do. That's a LOT of preload for a dirt bike - you basically have maxed out the rear spring preload. I would argue you need a heavier spring and run less preload.

If highway stability is what you are after, the KLX is the wrong bike to start with.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666

The goal of a KLX250S rider and a KLX250SF rider are a bit different. I didn't mean to imply that "soft" was good for the street, but rather that a lowered bike with a stock spring was "ok" on the street and "poor" off-road.

The SF also gets 10mm more preload than the S. So stiffer is expected for an SF model.

Setting the suspension isn't that hard if you have the correct spring for your weight. A pro will dial it in if that's what you need. I'm on the ragged edge of the preferred numbers for sag, but it's good enough for my capabilities.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah...i had mine set up for mainly street use....but, this set up did not work well for the dirt and bumps...basically had them set it up for maximum stability and cornering....they could have set it up more for dual sport or dirt, but i told them i wanted it more street....i'm roughly 145~150lbs, and the springs were fine for my weight....they just did some adjustments..i didn't even know there were so many screws to turn here and there..but, it made a huge difference on the highway after they finished...

Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

To HunnieToast: I'm about the same dimensions you are. I had Jon @ Moto-Pro (1-800-277-5089) lower my 2012 KLX250s 2". He also changed the springs and valving. I had some very specific needs on top of it having to work as an everyday bike for any and all uses. I'm very happy with his work. He's a very busy guy so you might write down your questions before you phone. He never tried to sell me anything. He answered all my questions and suggested what he thought my best choices would be. A very cool guy. Phone him.

Quick Reply: Risks of lowering