Risks of lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Risks of lowering

Hey all,

I'm still pretty new to the dual sport game... Well the game of a motorcycle at all for that matter. I'm interested in lowering my KLX or having it adjusted for me and I want to know the best ways to do this.

I'm 5'8 and I have a little trouble touching the ground easily, I usually only get my toes down and even then I don't feel fully comfortable. I am a bit heavier than most of the people I've been reading about when it comes to suspension questions on here. I have a 32" inseam and I'm weighing in right at 215 lbs.

I've seen information about lowering links or moving the bars... I think the lowering links would work best, but I worry about clearance at that point... I also heard that I could just adjust my suspension and go from there, but I'm not sure if that was accurate.

My biggest concerns are clearance and ride quality/handling.
(I'm getting a skid plate soon for the clearance part, but still worried.)

Any information you all could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
HT

Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

One detail...how will you use the bike? Off road, at your weight, with a lowered bike, you'll be smacking the ground frequently. For pavement and just dirt road use, a stiffer spring after you lower the bike at the fork and with links will probably be just fine. You need at least a 6.0 rear spring at your weight and stiffer springs in the fork. You can lower the bike, but you'll still need springs to keep that bike from going to the ground any quicker than it already will.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX is not a tall bike, if you are 5'8", you are plenty tall for this bike. Check your rear sag and make sure your preload isn't cranked down too much (that would be my guess if you aren't able to reach the ground easily).

I am 5'5" and I have the Kouba lowering links. But I am only 150 lbs. As TNC said, at your weight, lowering links will make you scrape the bottom quite a bit. Try the rear sag, then shave the seat and then do links if you absolutely feel like you need it.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
One detail...how will you use the bike? Off road, at your weight, with a lowered bike, you'll be smacking the ground frequently. For pavement and just dirt road use, a stiffer spring after you lower the bike at the fork and with links will probably be just fine. You need at least a 6.0 rear spring at your weight and stiffer springs in the fork. You can lower the bike, but you'll still need springs to keep that bike from going to the ground any quicker than it already will.
I only use the bike for commuting right now. I don't really do much off road. If I stick with what it has and start doing off road, will I be okay if I don't lower it? I've never jumped the bike or anything like that, but clearance right now seems perfect... I wish I could grow another 2 inches, It'd be perfect.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

have you considered shaving the seat?...or, if you have a moto jack and socket set...replacing the dog bones (longer to lower) and raising the fork is simple process...

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ed-seat-39700/

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Zombie Woof..

So if I'm understanding this right, I can simply use a 1" lowering link, I won't need to worry about clearance because I'd gain more travel? Or did I completely understand everything wrong?

Originally Posted by ahnh666
have you considered shaving the seat?...or, if you have a moto jack and socket set...replacing the dog bones (longer to lower) and raising the fork is simple process...

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ed-seat-39700/

ahnh666...

I've looked into this many times, this is the first time I got to see a video, it is no doubt something I want to attempt, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort in the seat... God knows the stock seat really isn't amazingly comfortable anyways.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Give it time, eventually you won't even notice the height.
I'm about your height , same inseam , but weight about 170. My advice is to get used to it as it came from the factory. Once you do , it's not that bad. I can put toes down on both sides or, as I usually do, just lean a tad, and put only one foot down flat .

Last edited by dan888; 02-13-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i did the opposite and had the bike raised....get the jack and lift the bike just enough to hold the bike...loosen the front clamp bolts...slowly lower the jack enough to push the fork up...use the jack for fine adjustment..you want the fork up, but not touching the handlebar...have like a mm space....tighten the fork clamps...just lowering the front a bit will give a slight forward lean and might fit you better....you might like the characteristics of the ride this way....or, you can also add the inch drop in the rear with longer dog bone to match..

Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 AM
AZR
1st Gear Member

When I bought my bike the previous owner had lowered it. I rode if for several months like that, but when greasing the rocker arm I put the stock links back in. I was surprised at how much better the bike felt. It was less "squishy" now that it was back at its stock height. The small bumps off road seem to be smoother now too. I'm glad the previous owner gave me the stock links when I bought it just in case. Bike feels less like it is going to tip over when on the kickstand also.

Quick Reply: Risks of lowering