Rimlocks /bead stopper

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rimlocks /bead stopper

I saw a few previous threads on here about rim locks so I figured I'd throw it out there. I am changing out my rear tire this winter and putting in an MSR UHD tube, so i figured I'd throw a rim lock on there while everything is apart just to be on the safe side. I bought the LiteLoc from MotionPro, it is 2.4 oz as opposed to the 4 oz aluminum one and supposedly 10-20% stronger than standard cast aluminum ones.

I'm just wondering what kind of rim locks you all have and if I am going to need a tire balancing afterwards, even with the lighter lock. For now I am only throwing it on the rear since I will have the tire off. I can't think of a good reason to even put it on the front, I don't do too much crazy stuff with the KLX, so I think I should be ok without one on the front.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

With relatively aggressive knobies I don't worry about balancing the tires.
Off-road it wont matter at all, and even on pavement the tires give a rough ride that masks a lot of imbalance.

I do hope you have the skill to change tires pretty much nailed.
With a UHD tube and a rim lock, if aren't doing it right it's going to be a total bitch to mount the new tire.
With the right technique, only bit more work that normal tubes and no rim lock.

--
Mikko

Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

After comparing the ride with and without balancing, I always balance my wheels now. Much nicer ride without it hopping around. It only takes a couple minutes. If you have a rimlock, most likely you'll be way out of balance. I just use the axle or a rod and two stands, no need for an expensive balancer. I'm not trying to get them perfect, just close enough to smooth out the ride.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't put in a front rimlock either if my bikes didn't already have them.
I put that same rimlock on the rear of my DR650 and was surprised how much lead I had to use to balance it out.
Riding a bike w/ & w/o balanced tires makes a big difference. I do it the same as Rocker.
If you don't balance them they will get worse. Lets say you put 2-4k miles on your tires and rotation after rotation the tires are going slightly up and down, they're going to wear worse, make the ride worse and work your syspension more.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

After Woz posted them up, I bought some Talon rim locks. It's hard to get too excited about rim locks, but I have to admit they are pretty cool. Hard to get in the states, I ordered mine from demon mx in UK.

I run two rim locks in each wheel, opposite each other, and generally ride off-road with low pressure for best traction so the rim locks are required to prevent ripping out a valve stem.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I put a rim lock on the front after tearing a stem.

Didn't bother with any balancing and you do notice the imbalance on the slab.

Have always run one on the rear.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input fellas. I guess I'll put on the rimlock and give it a ride and see how it feels and go from there. Thanks to westoz's post, I guess I'll be ready to order some spoke weights if necessary.

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I do hope you have the skill to change tires pretty much nailed.
With a UHD tube and a rim lock, if aren't doing it right it's going to be a total bitch to mount the new tire.
With the right technique, only bit more work that normal tubes and no rim lock.

--
Mikko
I guess we will find out when everything comes in, just placed the order yesterday
I've replaced tires and tubes on bikes and dirtbikes many times, just not with a rimlock on, so here's hoping I've built up some skills
If all else fails, I have a buddy that rides semi-pro MX and has a shop with just about every tool in the book, so I could always bug him LOL! I'd like to try it on my own so this way here if i get a flat while out riding, I've got some experience under my belt.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I just buy stick on lead weight from OReillys. Cheap and work great. You only need 2 tire irons, soapy lube, something to put your rim on and baby powder to change your tires. I just built a square out of 2x4's to set it on and get the rotors off the ground.
Just barely have the rim lock nut on the rim lock, put the rim strip on the outside of the lock, and when you get ready to put the tire on push the lock up into the tire away from the rim.
A warm tire is your friend. When you get to where your almost there and if it's being a bugger just leave it for awhile and let'r stretch (use a heat gun if you have to) then try again. Usually goes if you give it time to stretch abit.