Rim locks, tubeless, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I contacted neutech directly and the tubeless system is not DOT approved and they dont recommend using it on the highway=====If I still had the email i could have cut and pasted the response. Its a great idea. But as I recently discovered, its a piece of cake to change tires and or tubes if you have tire spoons. My first try on my rear tire took 20 minutes and has lasted 200 miles without any issues. All I did was watch a you tube video on how to change a tube. And POW I am a expert now LOL

Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Many of these tubless designs are just solutions searching for a problem. With all the heavy duty tubes available I think the bases are covered. Before I swich to a tubeless system, I want to see long term studies and or data. In time, who knows what will be proven to be the best. But for now I'm kinda dubious about the tubless setup. Kudos to those ground-breakers out there that are willing to give the tubeless systems the old 'college try'. Cheers

Mike

Old 11-05-2009, 03:07 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
Many of these tubless designs are just solutions searching for a problem. With all the heavy duty tubes available I think the bases are covered. Before I swich to a tubeless system, I want to see long term studies and or data. In time, who knows what will be proven to be the best. But for now I'm kinda dubious about the tubless setup. Kudos to those ground-breakers out there that are willing to give the tubeless systems the old 'college try'. Cheers

Mike
Mike, I thought the same thing when the Stan's tubeless mountainbike stuff came along. Neither Mavic, Michelin, and Hutchison...the big tubeless tire/wheel innovators...couldn't really get tubeless mountainbike stuff off the ground. Then this snowmobile yahoo from Minnesota comes along with a system that allows you to use standard tires and standard wheels to run tubeless, and now tubeless has become an accepted standard with many hardcore mountainbikers. Tires are more compliant without a tube. They run cooler without a tube...more of an issue with a motorcycle, of course. And they don't pinch flat.

This Nuetech system is eerily similar, but a dirt tire is way more substantial and capable of sealing with an internal sealant than a mountainbike tire, so I'm hopeful. I found quite a few long time user experiences over on Thumpertalk about Nuetech. While some had issues getting them to seal upon installation...especially those in the first months after release...most have come to the conclusion that they work reliably and with performance benefits. We'll see. From watching the assembly directions carefully, it appears no worse to reinstall a tube if something goes wrong on the trail...pretty much like you'd do anyway. You just have to remove that inner liner and stuff it somewhere...no suggestions please.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
I contacted neutech directly and the tubeless system is not DOT approved and they dont recommend using it on the highway=====If I still had the email i could have cut and pasted the response. Its a great idea. But as I recently discovered, its a piece of cake to change tires and or tubes if you have tire spoons. My first try on my rear tire took 20 minutes and has lasted 200 miles without any issues. All I did was watch a you tube video on how to change a tube. And POW I am a expert now LOL
You know...I don't see how they could clear it for road use regardless of the possible success. The liability potential is huge. The reality of any more safety problems than with a tubed knobby tire is probably a non-issue. In fact, a tubed tire is renowned for fast deflation in a puncture which can often result in an exciting event at pavement speeds. You probably have a better chance of detecting the feedback of a low/leaking tire in a tubeless situation...but it's all probably a moot point. The tire would run cooler without a tube in it on the highway. The way my KLX is geared, I don't like running for very long higher than 60. I'm always running knobbies on mine and try to minimize pavement running when possible. I don't commute on it...have a KLR650 for those duties. Balancing would also be an issue at sustained highway speeds, but those users on Thumpertalk found that the air valve/rim lock unit on the Nuetech was almost exactly the same weight as a standard rim lock and they counterweighted it as such.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I just got back from a 10-day trip in the Big Bend National Park/Terlingua, TX area. I put over 600 miles on the KLX with the Nuetech system. This place is a cactus, rock infested area. I rode rocky, ledgy terrain at speed with plenty of bottoming out because of a too soft rear spring. I had no issues with the Nuetech system. I rode several sections of pavement at highway speed with no issue. I started the trip at about 22 psi front/rear, but ended up with 16/16 as my final preference. This gave great traction and tire compliance in the dirt but without any squirminess on pavement at highway speeds, even in hard cornering. This allowed excellent performance without constantly airing up/down.

The inner liner in this system keeps the tire bead tightly clamped, so the tire sidewall has stiffer integrity regardless of the main tire pressure. It's a good concept. I still can't see any reason why this setup should be any less safe than a conventional tube setup, and frankly I see more elements that make it safer. I had no negative issues during this trip with the setup and am still on board with its attributes.

Attached Thumbnails Rim locks, tubeless, etc.-img_0127.jpg  
Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Right on, thats what I wanted to hear about this product. I honestly could care less if its DOT approved after I thought about it. Whos gonna look inside my tire LOL. I dont street ride much above 50mph and I am willing to sacrifice the on road performance for better off road performance any day of the week. I am going to get a tubeless setup for the rear tire sometime this up coming season. I am going to wait until I get a flat or have to change the rear tire before I install it. I'll probably order one for the front also at the same time. Thanks for updating the post with your e-pinion

Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I've looked at these systems, but my Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty tubes weigh as much as my Dunlop D616s do, they're not popping (I put it through some heavy rocky conditions).