Rim locks, tubeless, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Rim locks, tubeless, etc.

The recent discussion of rim locks got me to rethinking the tubeless concept for spoked wheel motorcycles...like our KLX's. I did some more reading on the Neutech tubeless system, and I'm damned curious. I was already aware of this system, but it's hard to get any indepth user feedback on this.

It seems to be a neat solution to several issues. I also come from a background of mountainbiking where tubeless conversion systems have been around and very successful for several years. Those systems use spoke valley tape and a rim strip to seal against the bead of the tire. Sealant is then introduced, and the result is a tire with better carcass compliance for traction and rolling quality and almost bulletproof flat proofing.

This Nuetech system seems to address the issue of tire bead locking with a rim lock/air valve combination. There's no tube to flat, pinch, or rip the valve stem from. Equipped with sealant, it seems almost flatproof. It allows lower running pressures with less heat buildup since there's no tube friction. It also appears that the inner high pressure bladder allows the tire to be run under race conditions for quite some time even if the tire pressure is lost. This setup has some concepts very similar to the tubeless conversion systems for mountainbikes while having some unique elements necessary for a dirt bike. Some elements of a Nascar innerliner race tire come to mind.

I've heard some say that this setup is not suited to highway cruising, but I couldn't find any info that denied it's use. Maybe someone can point out a source that addresses that. On a KLX for the way I use one, my highway miles are as limited as possible, though they can go as high as 50 miles at a time to make loop ride connections in Utah and Colorado. I can't see why this setup would be any less safe than running tubed knobbies which by design build more heat during highway speeds...especially at higher speeds.

I decided to take the plunge and try an 18 inch rear setup on my KLX to see how it works out.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  36_1_551.gif
Views: 80
Size:  9.6 KB
Let Us Know How You Like it

Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i was thinking about tubeless but bought the 351 kit instead.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems like a lot of $$ when a tube is only $10.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Seems like a lot of $$ when a tube is only $10.
depends on how many tubes you ruin during a change

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it. Sure you know of tire *****. I was at a class a month ago and a mechanic that I spoke w\ a bit told me that the 2 bikes he was 'watching over' had tennis ***** in the front tires. First time I ever heard of that. Good luck w\ the Neutech.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

pine cones

Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

or eggs

Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Check out tire *****, too. Seems like it might be less cranky than the rather complex tubliss system. I hear tubliss is pretty particular about the tire and bead, they need to be pristine, if not, seal is sometimes sketchy.

http://www.tireballs.com/motorcycle.html

Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
I was at a class a month ago and a mechanic that I spoke w\ a bit told me that the 2 bikes he was 'watching over' had tennis ***** in the front tires. First time I ever heard of that. Good luck w\ the Neutech.

Tennis ***** are real popular among x-mx riders for a front tire here in Florida...posted that like three years ago. Works great in thorn covered sugar sand..................I would not ride on the highway with tennis ***** in my front thou.

Quick Reply: Rim locks, tubeless, etc.