Rim Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I put on TUBLISS ($200.00 set) brand on mine and love them! Easy to set up, just pop off tire, take off rim tape, drill out one of holes to the size they say, clean everything up, put on new nipple guard tape, install the TUBLISS system, install tires, done.

Took me an hour on the first one start to finish and about 30 minutes on the second tire.

You do notice them a little at speed but nothing bad, that was at 10 psi, the more air you put in the less you notice them. I ride around at 20 psi on the road and dont notice them. Even at 80mph, no difference in handling.

I took them out at 5psi when first installed, did 50 through the back roads and twisties. You could feel them slightly but even with all the stress from the concreate in turns, you could feel the tires fold but they didnt move at all.

Read all directions and watch the online instructional video. Easy.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I took my KLX out for it's first ride this season without checking the tire pressure. I meant to, but was having a busy day and forgot. I destroyed another front tube, and finally went with rim locks.

I checked my race bike before I rode it for the first time, and the pressure in the front tire was zero. The back had a few PSI.
I had ridden the bike a couple of times a few days before and noticed nothing in the way of low air at all. I had just put the wheels back on after the winter tear down and noticed nothing, anyhow..it was a surprise to say the least,

Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I agree, but,,the bike has been sitting all winter and I didn't check to see if the tires were low,
The missing piece of the puzzle.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
YES. When I placed the stem @ the 6 o'clock position on both, front and rear tires, the valve stems were (both) pointing to the rear of the bike. I can see this action taking place on the rear (due to torque/acceleration) but not on the front wheel

I would think that braking forces would cause an opposite shift on the front tire/tube.
That is just crazy, why would the front tire slip and rotate that way? Maybe the rear as when you hit the gas, the tire gets traction (due to wt transfer), when you hit the breaks it skids (due to wieght transfer).

I don't know, I'll have to see this for myself!!!!! Maybe someone is playing tricks on you?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I just got my bike out for the first time since September. I normally keep 25 pounds in the tires as I don't have rimlocks yet and I also ride a lot of pavement. Remembering this thread, I checked the air pressures, even though they seemed OK. They were both down to 15 psi, front and rear.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
That is just crazy, why would the front tire slip and rotate that way? Maybe the rear as when you hit the gas, the tire gets traction (due to wt transfer), when you hit the breaks it skids (due to wieght transfer).

I don't know, I'll have to see this for myself!!!!! Maybe someone is playing tricks on you?
I dont understand it either. I air my tires up to 29 rear and 22 front as I didnt have rim locks (now I do, 2 per wheel and different knobbies too). I would consciously check the valve stem before each ride because I didnt want to be stranded due to a torn off stem (preventable maintenance). Whenever I would notice the stem shift, the front and rear were always shifted in the same direction.

Anyhow I would just let the air out and break the beads with my bare hands then shift/rotate the tires until the stem was straight and re-inflate and go riding. I have yet to put some serious miles on the new knobbies, w/ 2 rimlocks per wheel, due to the suspension bits being at moto-pro right now.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 AM

Yes I got it in KLX, rim lock is really a great achievement and i find it most of the power vehicles.
In mustang the front rim lock is really hard breaking and a great way to protect your vehicle.

Last edited by peter50; 10-13-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I find it hard to believe you could get a tire to spin on the rim no matter how hard you try. My stock 605's were on there pretty tight when I swapped them out. Had to jump on them to break the bead loose from the rim. The new Trackmaster II's fit on the rim even tighter! I had to beat them with a rubber mallet to get the bead to seat on the rim. I don't think I could get them to spin on the rim if I took all of the air out of the tires! I'm wondering how I'll get them off when it comes time to change them...

Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I spun my front on the rim and ripped out the valve core, running around 12 psi on a new Pirelli tire.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, it will never happen..... until your 40miles out in the wilderness, all alone, stuck in some creek hole.

Quick Reply: Rim Locks?