Rim Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Nope the valve stem in torn. No doubt about it. I checked for anything in the tire. the rubber around the stem looks quite fatigued. I will take a picture of it later on to show you.
I bought a UHD tube and rim lock last night.
I don't need a picture. I was just thinking 22 psi should be enough to not require a rim lock. I guess not.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree, but,,the bike has been sitting all winter and I didn't check to see if the tires were low, no reason to think so, but could have lost a few pounds. I am thinking that because the stem nut was tight, and the tube may have been moving around and the rubber looks fatigued it may have been an accumulative thing. Anyway I went and looked at the scene and there was no gravel no skid marks just a couple of gouges from the foot peg and the hand guard in the pavement and a little gas spot on the ground. My ribs are fricken hurting at night. Tylenol 3's and Advil help a smooth things out.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

If it sat all winter, I'd be willing to bet you were down quite a bit on the air pressure. Mine lose about 0.5 PSI per week. I check before every ride...

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

It is hard to say now. I rode the bike hard and for a lot of miles in dirt last summer with lots of long steep down hill braking. I can imagine what the forces must be on the tire/rim interface trying to stop 450 pounds of meat and machine from rolling. This is not a mistake I will make again..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
I found the odd part of the tube twisting to be: The front tire rotated the exact same direction on the rim that the rear tire did....Hmmm. Meaning the front tire didnt rotate on the rim in the direction that would occur under braking.
That is some interesting information... Well, I assume the tire/tube was rotated with the rearword from the tire contact with the road, meaning that the brakes cause more rotation, front & rear! Brakes are stronger than the huge HP output of the 250! Not real surprizing!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I agree, but,,the bike has been sitting all winter and I didn't check to see if the tires were low,
Sorry but there is a problem right there.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I know.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharing what happened Red. Wake up call for me.

I suspect it was cumulative stress that finally ripped.

I'm thinking about Tubliss.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I took my KLX out for it's first ride this season without checking the tire pressure. I meant to, but was having a busy day and forgot. I destroyed another front tube, and finally went with rim locks.

I checked my race bike before I rode it for the first time, and the pressure in the front tire was zero. The back had a few PSI.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
That is some interesting information... Well, I assume the tire/tube was rotated with the rearward from the tire contact with the road, meaning that the brakes cause more rotation, front & rear! Brakes are stronger than the huge HP output of the 250! Not real surprising!
YES. When I placed the stem @ the 6 o'clock position on both, front and rear tires, the valve stems were (both) pointing to the rear of the bike. I can see this action taking place on the rear (due to torque/acceleration) but not on the front wheel

I would think that braking forces would cause an opposite shift on the front tire/tube.

Quick Reply: Rim Locks?