Rim Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
For what its worth, I got a flat because i didnt have a rim lock. Then i installed a normal one like this:

It wouldnt grab the tire and keep it from spinning. So next ride i got another flat. That is why i put the lite loc's on. It looked like it would grab the tire better and it does. The teeth on the side seem to grab the tire better for me...

Some people put 2 rim locks on opposite of each other to offset the weight so they dont need wheel weights. But you have to drill another hole in the wheel to do that.
I have purchased (1ea.) of the 'normal' Motion Pro alloy rim locks. The 'normal' alloy locks are indeed wider AND also have teeth on the edges. Why would the Lite (blue) locks be any better than the 'normal' alloy locks since the LiteLocks are indeed "narrower"?

Just wondering

Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I got the liteloc's because the "teeth" on the side that touch the tire seemed bigger/longer and would hold the tire better. For whatever reason the allow locks just didnt keep my tire from spinning. I was a little irritated when i got a flat with a rim lock.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Some people put 2 rim locks on opposite of each other to offset the weight so they dont need wheel weights. But you have to drill another hole in the wheel to do that.
That's what I do.

1) holds the tire on better, no creep over time, no matter what pressure you run

2) balances the wheel, good enough for dual sporting at highway speeds

3) if you do go flat, the tire won't come off the rim, possibly saving you from a crash

4) chances are, you can nurse out a flat without tearing up your rim

Add ultra heavy duty tubes to that, and your tires are virtually flat free. I sometimes run a trials tire in the rear for extraordinary traction in the rocks and roots, and use 2 opposing rim locks, UHD tubes, and run the pressure down as low as 6 or 7 pounds. Traction is absolutely phenomenal, and have never had a flat.

I ride mostly off-road, though, and rarely run over 12 lbs front or rear. Knock on wood, I've never had a flat, neither pinch flat, nor valve stem ripping. I think the combo of dual rim locks and the UHD tubes make the tire almost flat proof, barring something like a nail. I think just about the only thing more reliable is a mousse.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes

Add ultra heavy duty tubes to that, and your tires are virtually flat free. I sometimes run a trials tire in the rear for extraordinary traction in the rocks and roots, and use 2 opposing rim locks, UHD tubes, and run the pressure down as low as 6 or 7 pounds. Traction is absolutely phenomenal, and have never had a flat.

I ride mostly off-road, though, and rarely run over 12 lbs front or rear. Knock on wood, I've never had a flat, neither pinch flat, nor valve stem ripping. I think the combo of dual rim locks and the UHD tubes make the tire almost flat proof, barring something like a nail. I think just about the only thing more reliable is a mousse.
Did you quit the tire ball system? Issues?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Did you quit the tire ball system? Issues?
No issues, just a pita to change tires. It's like changing a tire with 12 lbs of pressure in it. It's easier to put them on than to take them off - breaking that initial bead will make a preacher cuss. And since I'd never actually had a problem with using UHD tubes, I just went back with that. I've never actually had a flat with that set-up, I think I was just paranoid since I suck so badly at changing tires, I wanted them to be bullet proof, literally. If I ever had to change one in the field, I'd hope I had a lantern, because I'd be there after dark for sure. Lol But at least with dual rim locks I'd have a fighting chance of nursing it out and still get home for supper.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Good thread guys, I'm ordering lite-locks.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for chiming in nobrakes.
You have me at the edge of buying another set of rimlocks to oppose and UHD tubes.
BTW, what brand of UHD are you using?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Thanks for chiming in nobrakes.
You have me at the edge of buying another set of rimlocks to oppose and UHD tubes.
BTW, what brand of UHD are you using?
Bridgestones are the only ones I've ever used, they are very thick. Others are probably similar.

Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube | Dirt Bike | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I should mention that I don't do a lot of road miles and when I do it's usually not for long distances. I'd suspect that running the lower pressure and those big thick tubes would probably generate a good bit of heat for longer road trips. They are great off-road and for the kind of dual sporting I do. And I wouldn't hesitate to go 75-80 on them for a bit on the road, but I wouldn't do that all day long, and if you do much of that, this may not be the best setup. But they would probably be fine at that if you aired them up. Everything's a compromise of some sort.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I certainly wouldn't want to put many hwy miles on at low pressure anyway. But highway miles are inevitable for me at times.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I went with the lite locks as well as the ultra heavy tube in the front anyway. I got a flat twice in the front so I am trying this set up. So far so good. I will be doing the same to the back when I need a new tire. Never thought of putting 2 rimlocks on one rim though.

Quick Reply: Rim Locks?