Rim Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

You can see my home made weights in the upper part of this picture. I can't seem to find the pricey ones online. ?? Two rim locks, one spaced on the opposite side from the other will also balance the wheel out. some people do that.
Dan

Name:  11-6-2011023.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  69.8 KB

Last edited by dan888; 02-16-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
I saw a KLX spin the front tire on the rim too. How the hell I spun a front tire is beyond me.

I also run the Motion Pro LiteLocs both front and rear now. The front rim lock still throws the tire out of balance, but it's not nearly as bad as when using a heavier aluminum lock. You just feel a vibration sometimes above 40mph or so on the highway.
Haha. Didn't want to mention names. Lol. I'm ordering a new front tire this weekend. Ill throw a rimlock on.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay Rim locks it is. I would like to be able to air the tire pressure down for varying conditions, street/trail. I will also weigh the alloy units I have and then compensate/balance them out with some spoke weights.

I compared the ultra-lite Motion Pro locks to the alloy Motion Pro units (the version I bought) and there was not much difference for double the price. Maybe if I had a race bike or a sponsor I would pay double the price for a few grams savings.

I was almost convinced I didnt need them

Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Search rim locks on here, one of the guys has the widths you need, and their respective weights posted .

Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't have rim locks in mine...yet. But I will by the next set of tires.

Besides the ability to run lower pressures off road, there are other important advantages to running rim locks.

One, if you do get a sudden flat at speed, you'll be more able to maintain control of the bike, as the tire will keep rotating with the rim.

Two, a rim lock can also allow you to run on flat for quite some time if necesssary.

Three, if you get a puncture flat and are not running rim locks, you'll frequently also tear the stem off the tube...forever ruining the tube and eliminating the possibility of simply patching the tube to ride on.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I run the Tubliss system, so, they have a rim lock as part of that system. I have to put weights on the opposite side, or, I get that "interesting" pogo-stick action mentioned by another poster. I often run well under 20 psi on the rocky terrain.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
Okay Rim locks it is. I would like to be able to air the tire pressure down for varying conditions, street/trail. I will also weigh the alloy units I have and then compensate/balance them out with some spoke weights.

I compared the ultra-lite Motion Pro locks to the alloy Motion Pro units (the version I bought) and there was not much difference for double the price. Maybe if I had a race bike or a sponsor I would pay double the price for a few grams savings.

I was almost convinced I didnt need them

For what its worth, I got a flat because i didnt have a rim lock. Then i installed a normal one like this:

It wouldnt grab the tire and keep it from spinning. So next ride i got another flat. That is why i put the lite loc's on. It looked like it would grab the tire better and it does. The teeth on the side seem to grab the tire better for me...

Some people put 2 rim locks on opposite of each other to offset the weight so they dont need wheel weights. But you have to drill another hole in the wheel to do that.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

1. There is more force on the front tire due to the big disk brake than you could ever put on the rear wheel with the throttle or with the little disk brake on the back before the tire would start skidding. Therefore, rim locks are more important on the front.
2. I put 2 on each wheel to balance everything out. With the light bike, soft suspension and the pogo effect you will need to balance your wheels if you plan on riding on pavement for more than 3 or 4 miles or go over 40mph.

Quick Reply: Rim Locks?