Riding in windy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tom edison
Get as low as you can by leaning forward. The wind acts like a force on a lever, the higher you sit the more leverage the wind has. I first noticed this when I got the KLR and it does the same on the Versys. I just lay forward over the tank and the wind has less leverage.
I am not sure I would use the same terminology but it works.

I ride mine almost daily on the highway and it seems that half the time it is at least somewhat windy.

Tucking to the point that your eyes are just peeking out above the cluster may look silly but will for sure make it less of an issue. No only that but you will fined that you will need to left off the throttle a little so as not to speed up.

You can do what I am doing for a more permanent solution: Get a road bike

Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

holy batman's mother..you definitely got your money's worth on those tires...you are well well well beyond the wear indicator on those tires...i'm is not even close to that and i've been little worried about changing my tires soon...over 8,000 miles...

Originally Posted by deej
On my grand Canyon trip, my cousin and I were at that angle for nearly 100 miles, it was weird to see. You are going in a straight line at that angle and it was ok, although I wore out the side of my tire and didn't figure out why till I read more stories of the angle riding in wind when I got back. Here is what happened to my tire, I mean it wasn't a new tire anyway, but I'm sure that the angle accelerated the process since the side of the tire is softer. YIKES!

New tire

Note to self, always check tires before riding 3500 miles in 7 days

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

For me, left hand crosswinds at 25 - 30 mph is when things start to get "interesting". Just gotta do the leaning thang and anticipate the start or end of windbreaks and be the one doing the passing, not vice versa. Praying helps, too...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I just wanted to contribute, now that I've got a different bike...

The DRZ is all over the place in the wind... it's a lot taller of a bike than the SF is.

I'd say there was moderate wind today, compared to the super high winds I rode the SF in... and I was being thrown around twice as much on the DRZ as the SF.

It's got to be the height of the bike...

I guess people riding S models probably have almost the same issue.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

@deej "Note to self, always check tires before riding 3500 miles in 7 days*'"

^^^YES! *It's very easy to underestimate the amount of rubber you are going to burn through *on a road trip. *It's happened to me on a couple of 3-5000km road trips. *The long days and sustained high speeds promote heat buildup which chews through tires at a much faster rate than would occur with little day-jaunts.

This suggestion goes against all best practice of ensuring your tires are in good shape prior to departure, and calling for towing assistance immediately upon wearing your tire so the cords are visible, but if you're stuck, you'd be surprised how well duct tape or electrical tape works to get you to the nearest tire shop! *In my case, I applied several circumferential layers of electrical tape which I packed in my tool kit. *I rode VERY cautiously back to civilization. Tape required reapplication every 100km or so, but I was able to limp ~500km to the next town large enough to have a motorcycle service shop at it...

I suspect tape wouldn't hold up so well off road with knobbies, but it worked for me on the highway with a rear street tire...

Typographical errors by*iPhone

Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

well..my reply was at over 8,000 miles...i was lazy and kept on riding...last weekend i was out riding with the big cc bikes..they were looking at my rear tire ...today i finally installed my new shinko ds tires that i picked up for $40...rode them another 1,000+ miles and changed tires at nearly 9,300 miles!..haha

Last edited by ahnh666; 06-13-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Spyke
Can anyone give me some advice in riding in windy conditions. I had a motorcycle 20 years ago and I don't remember the wind ever being a factor. I am new to my KLX 250S and its a bit scary for me when im in windy and gusty conditions. Thanks for any advise.
new to the dual sport world. but in rideing my klx i have noticed that the handle bars did't seem to be wide enough so swithched them to a CR high
bend. and it is more stable. but like they say don't death grip.