Riding in windy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding in windy conditions

Can anyone give me some advice in riding in windy conditions. I had a motorcycle 20 years ago and I don't remember the wind ever being a factor. I am new to my KLX 250S and its a bit scary for me when im in windy and gusty conditions. Thanks for any advise.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Hold on tighter!?

I dunno, never had the wind affect me enough to make me notice.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the KLX just isn't a good road bike in the wind, it is just too light.

The best advice I can give is just to go with it. Your bike is going to move around a lot and you can't fight it, the more you do the worse it will get.

So riding in the wind is kind of like riding in gravel, you just have to keep a loose grip and not tense up, just let the bike move and slide. You will eventually get better and feel more comfortable with it.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess it's the light weight combined with it being a little tall but this bike does get blown around. Stay loose but hang on.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

san francisco winds are fierce...sudden gusts knock birds out of the sky to their death below to get hit by cars (hopefully not motorcycles)...one of the biggest fears riders have in sf is crossing the bridge...the winds are at their strongest....

i have an klx250sf, and even with the wider wheels....i've been pushed a few inches...i'm kind of use to it now, so i know it's coming....each time i pass a big truck, van or bus....when the roads curve, i'm ready for any gusts....when i enter the bridge....but, usually i only worry about winds when i'm riding on the freeway/bridges at higher speeds...it's only scary if it catches you off guard....

just remember...bridges, big vehicles and change in direction....just know it's going to happen and it won't be scary...trust your machine...no death grips and arms relaxed...i like to keep up with the faster flow of traffic...cars and vans passing me causes unexpected change in wind gusts....i like to do all the passing!...

Last edited by ahnh666; 04-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

As above, NO death grip! Relaxed but firm on the bars.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Like you I used to have street bikes and wind was never an issue. I could be going 120 mph through Washoe Valley in Nevada with a cross wind and the bike would be at an 20 degree angle but would be as steady as a rock. On the KLX, a slight breeze can make you feel like you're being pulled off.

If I'm at highway speeds or it's real windy I'll just hunker down to the handlebars. I know I probably look stupid, but not as stupid if my *** was on the asphalt.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I've done the 20 degree angle ride when hit with wind blowing between the mountains. It's *not* something I enjoy doing, especially when it's strong enough to move you half a lane. I just try to avoid riding on windy days, if I can. I definitely avoid highways, wind or no wind.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

When I changed my rear tire to a larger size the wind problem seemed to get worse?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I imagine a windscreen would help with this. Others may want to chime in. I was on the highway yesterday and what others are saying holds true. If you relax and relax your arms it helps a lot. I found that 55mph is pretty fine. After that it starts to ramp up. 70 seemed pretty crazy.

Quick Reply: Riding in windy conditions