Riding train tracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding train tracks

And I'm talking about train tracks that are abandoned/no longer in use. Is this a good idea in terms of riding terrain? I've rode across large rocks along the tracks which made me think about the risk of getting a flat tire. Would anyone suggest staying clear of train track paths? I'm not talking about the actual tracks but the service roads beside them.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never had a flat but the road ties about shake your teeth out. Oops I did'nt read the whole thing I thought you meant the track bed.

Last edited by ol guy; 04-02-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

my dad owns a hunt camp up north where there is a abandoned train track.we found that the faster you go the better the ride.this was on four wheelers though.at a slow speed it is just annoying and no fun at all.at a high speed you more or less just hydroplane across the top of the ties.I would not recommend trying it on a bike.your either gonna shake your kidneys down to your boots if you go slow or have little or no control at high speed,especially if you have to stop quickly.if the ties are gone then giver.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

You can see that you won't get correct answers to your queries if you aren't clear and concise in your questions. . . . . some of you guys need to re-read your posted questions BEFORE you hit "post'!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

id say good any. It all depends on how much sharp rock your running over and the type of geological terrain you ride. any trails you'll come across something sharp and potentially bad for the tires. I used to ride along active train tracks when I was a kid with no problems. I had a blast mobbing down the roads jumping road crossings. Id say go for it just be cautious.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

don't worry about it. You can get a pich flat just about anywhere theres roots and rocks. I doubt the rocks your talking about pose a greater risk of a flat than anywhere you'll be riding. If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen. I rode just about 3000 dirt miles before I got my 1st flat. Of course it was in the middle of nowhere on a rainy day on the side of a freakin mountain about 45 miles in to a 100 mile dualsport ride. My point is be prepared. Know how to replace a tube and have all the tools to get it done wherever whenever.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
You can see that you won't get correct answers to your queries if you aren't clear and concise in your questions. . . . . some of you guys need to re-read your posted questions BEFORE you hit "post'!
Answers I got seem pretty clear to me, what do you want me to do right a paragraph asking a simple question? In almost every sentence I refer to the paths and run along tracks.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

There's some active tracks near my house that I use to get to some riding spots.. I ride along side them in the small rocks that they put down. I've never had any probs.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I occasionally come across abandoned rail tracks in old logging country down south.
Even though the sleepers are old and rotted, it still shakes the teeth fillings out.
They take you to some interesting places non the less, and I don't think there is any greater chance of getting a flat.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol guy
I've never had a flat but the road ties about shake your teeth out. Oops I did'nt read the whole thing I thought you meant the track bed.
Polygrip not working for ya?

Quick Reply: Riding train tracks