Riding pants, knee + elbow guards ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding pants, knee + elbow guards ?

So after my latest wipe-out, I've really got the itch to take the plunge and order riding pants, knee/shin guards, and elbow pads. My SIDI Stormtrooper boots should be here this week I need protective gear for the woods. I wanna go faster, but I know I'ma crash many times before I get better. And I'm tired of getting banged up elbows and knees.

1. Riding pants are expensive! Any preferences? I'm liking the looks of the Fox 180... anybody have opinions?

2. What are good knee/shin guards and elbow pads? I see all the knee/shin guards are all about 10 bucks to 20 bucks, any pair stand out above the rest?

3. Ditto number 2 except with elbow pads?

I know I need a chest protector down the road when I get the money... but I definately have the money right now for pants and a new jersey, and probably the shin guards.

Any opinons would be greatly appreciated. I ask in this forum because its the most active forum here at KF so I figured I'd get the best opinons from woods riders.

Thanks so much in advance.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

You should try Chaparral motorsports. They have some pretty inexpensive packages.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...3D%2CMen's

Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Klim Moab pants. They're a really nice over-the-boot riding pant with great ventilation.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BP88
I have the Klim Moab pants. They're a really nice over-the-boot riding pant with great ventilation.
I'm looking for tuck-in pants. Going for all woods/dirt bike gear, nothing dualsport.

The Fox stuff is a bit pricey, I'm looking closely at Shift, Answer, or Thor...

Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

You can always buy year-old riding apparel for way less than the newer stuff. Try checking www.motorcyclesuperstore.com for clearance deals.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

i got a pair of the MSR renegade pants for cheap online. sorry i cant remember which online site it was. I like the pants, size was real close to my regular pant size, and they have decent padding.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Thor pants/jersey is out, its a bit high... I checked MCSS but they didn't have much of anything on clearance, at least not in a 36 waist.

For the protective stuff I'm kinda liking the Thor Sector knee/shin, and the Quartex (sp?) for the arms.

Leaning heavily to the Answer Syncron stuff... pretty affordable. I can get pants, jersey, gloves, and the Thor protection stuff for ~$115, not too bad. Still looking for opinions, please keep them coming! Thanks so much again!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

i bought the Ocelot package from Chaparral ($250)
I also dropped the big $$ on the Thor ride pants and Ride jacket. The jacket awsome
but i can see it being waaaay to hot in the summer. 100% waterproof too!

p.s. the Ocelot boots SUCK!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

So what are some opinions on chest protectors? I'm looking at the ARC Pro Flex for $50 and the Thor Quadrexl for $70.... alot of people are saying the ARC isn't as comfortable as the Thor... I've never worn one so IDK... I'm kinda broad in the shoulders / chest, but I'm not overweight (just was blessed with strong shoulders). Any opinions on this?

09 250s: I've got the boots covered which is why I'm not springing for any of those premade setups... they're all higher priced than individually buying from RMATV anyways.

Last edited by cliffsta; 04-19-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

As bp88 said, be sure and check out last year's stuff. Every year the big brands slap on a new trick thread pattern making last year's gear completely obsolete, and nearly worthless, thus they are marked down sometimes 50%.

Quick Reply: Riding pants, knee + elbow guards ?