Riding Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding Jackets

Tomahawk's post got me thinking about who else likes a good riding jacket. For 24 years I rode with my old military issue OD M65 Field jacket. It worked, but not very well. Wind up the sleeves and once it got wet, forget it. No protection at all except a layer of cotton.

I now use aShift XC jacket. (Google it) I've had it about four months now and I think it's great. It has zipper vents that you can open for airflow and a long flap in the back that keeps it from flapping or the wind from going up your back. I like the Velcro cuffs that I can pull tight where my gloves meet and keep the wind out of my sleeves. Two pockets on the outside that seal with Velcro and a stash pocket on the inside for a billfold or whatever. It has armor on the elbows and forearm. Remember, dress for the crash, not the ride.

It feels good with a sweatshirt around 40-45 degrees up to 60MPH. Any colder or faster, you'll get cold pretty fast. I've worn in 80+ temps. too. It's not hot at all with the vents unzipped and while you're moving. It does tend to get hot if you're stopped for any amount of time.

Price was a bit high at 130$ or so, but I'm hoping that it will last for a while.

Here's a gratuitous poser shot with my jacket on. [8D]

Name:  selfport-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  63.1 KB

Viva La KLX!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Riding Jackets

shoot you neeed some rding pants, your looking goofy with all gear and then some jeans[8D]

EDIT: oh yea, my father uses that greyish one from Kawasaki, i cant go look it up right now though. I use a t-shirt,

Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Goofy! That's me man! I have some Thor riding pants that I wear too. I want to get some over the boot type pants that look less 'moto-crossy'. I wear padded shorts under my jeans for crash protection.

Looks aside, if you go down just wearing a T-shirt, you'll look and feel pretty goofy too.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice jacket man, here's mine, its a Field sheer jacket with the built in armor and water proof.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

Looks aside, if you go down just wearing a T-shirt, you'll look and feel pretty goofy too.
heheh yep, but that is only off road on a dirtbike that doesnt go above fifty, in the summer, useually(sp) i have on a longsleeved shirt though

Old 03-19-2007, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

To hot to use a jacket here most of the time I'm using a fox mx jersey and a 661 pressure suit, oh yeah and fox mx pants

Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

Tomahawk's post got me thinking about who else likes a good riding jacket. For 24 years I rode with my old military issue OD M65 Field jacket. It worked, but not very well. Wind up the sleeves and once it got wet, forget it. No protection at all except a layer of cotton.

I now use aShift XC jacket. (Google it) I've had it about four months now and I think it's great. It has zipper vents that you can open for airflow and a long flap in the back that keeps it from flapping or the wind from going up your back. I like the Velcro cuffs that I can pull tight where my gloves meet and keep the wind out of my sleeves. Two pockets on the outside that seal with Velcro and a stash pocket on the inside for a billfold or whatever. It has armor on the elbows and forearm. Remember, dress for the crash, not the ride.

It feels good with a sweatshirt around 40-45 degrees up to 60MPH. Any colder or faster, you'll get cold pretty fast. I've worn in 80+ temps. too. It's not hot at all with the vents unzipped and while you're moving. It does tend to get hot if you're stopped for any amount of time.

Price was a bit high at 130$ or so, but I'm hoping that it will last for a while.

Here's a gratuitous poser shot with my jacket on. [8D]

Viva La KLX!

Is that a photoshopped bike?[sm=Flahssssss.gif] My bike brand new, wasn't that clean[sm=signs006.gif]

Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TeamKLX250

To hot to use a jacket here most of the time I'm using a fox mx jersey and a 661 pressure suit, oh yeah and fox mx pants
Garry, It gets real hot too in the summer. I've been looking real hard at the 661 suits too. Do you have the blue one or the red one. I forget the model numbers. How do you like it?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Divodave
Is that a photoshopped bike?[sm=Flahssssss.gif] My bike brand new, wasn't that clean[sm=signs006.gif]
Nope. I have Deej and his toothbrush fly out every couple of rides and have him clean it for me. [:@]

Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

DUDE!!! My bike hasn't been that clean since last summer. I must be getting lazy. Yea that's the ticket OCD<Lazy.

Quick Reply: Riding Jackets