Riding gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding gear

Just bought a 09 klx 250s, driving down state to pick it up friday. Anyhow, what's everybody wearing for protection. I'm lookin at a 661 vapor pressure suit and a EVS RC EVOLUTION neck brace. Just wondering if anyone has this set up, or could recommend some good protective equipment. I'm a paramedic, i know what these bikes can do to people. I'm really an easy rider, not doing anything stupid. But in the end I don't want to miss work lol.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

When I jump on the KLX and ride into town for kicks, I just have jeans, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and full coverage helmet. But when I go riding on my KLX for a more serious purpose, it's usually involving dirt and trail riding. I wear most all the known dirt riding gear except the neck brace.

I also have a 661 pressure suit, but frankly I can only wear it at high elevations or very cool weather. Any other time I'm wearing an Answer Apex padded hardshell armor. You have to pick through the hardshell armor offerings because some are just glorified roost protectors from the old days. The better hardshell stuff now has impact padding in the shoulders, chest, ribs, and back, but still allows a lot of ventilation. It's what I normally use. I also attach elbow/forearm guards to the shoulder guards, so that I don't have to cinch them too tightly to stay in place instead of constantly riding down your forearms in the rough terrain.

I go with full MX boots, full coverage helmet, gloves, upper body armor, hip pads, full dirt pants, knee/shin guards in the pants, and a hydration pack. Yes, looks a bit Star War'sy perhaps, but when I fall, I can almost always just get up, dust myself off, and continue on my way...if the bike ain't broke.

Here's a pic from Colorado last August. When strangers walk up to me, I just start doing that heavy, mechanical breathing thing like Darth Vader, and they quickly scurry away.

Attached Thumbnails Riding gear-p1010007.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

When riding to/from work and around town:
- Kevlar lined jeans (Draggin etc)
- O'Neal Joe Rocket jacket with CE armour
- Leather gloves
- Nolan Helmet (I like the folding face, especially on hot days waiting at traffic lights)
- I need to get myself a decent pair of boots

When offroad:
- O'Neal Series 5 helmet
- Scott goggles (not sure which ones)
- Alpinestar Cooling Vest
- EVS Ballistic armour with kidney belt (has chest, back, shoulder, and elbow guards built in)
- Answer Synchron gloves
- Padded pants (can't remember brand, but they look like padded cycling pants)
- Answer Synchron MX pants
- O'Neal knee & shin guards
- Alpinestar Tech 3 boots (looking to upgrade to Sidi Crossfire's though as they don't offer enough protection for my liking)
- Denai backpack with 3L hydration bladder (filled with a weakened Gatorade solution)

I would like to get some form of neck protection at some stage, though I hear mixed reports on their effectiveness and comfort.

I only wear my Answer Synchron long sleeve shirt over the EVS armour when it's cooler weather. In teh heat I want as much air to flow through the armour mesh onto the cooling vest underneath to help keep me cool. The cooling vest is also useful to prevent the armour chafing.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I usually just wear cargo shorts and flip flops when I ride..

Actually I just picked up some elbow, and shin, guards. They really feel like they would make a big difference in a crash and seem comfortable just wearing them around the house.
The very first dualsport ride I did, a few years ago, I only had jeans and work boots on. Whacked my big toe on a tree, and it turned black and blue for a couple weeks. I invested in some boots after that. Gear is definitely cheaper than hospital bills.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 03-08-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike. Hope you enjoy as well as I do mine!

Always (okay, almost always) a full face helmet.

Jeans, leather gloves, leather jacket, and hiking boots when riding around town.

First upgrade for the dirt was Answer podium boots. They're not the best, but the price was right and they fit me well - I feel an upgrade coming as soon as they start busting up. Then an AXO Air Cage pressure suit. Got a pair of riding pants for free, but I'm looking for more knee and hip protection. I like wearing the old chamois lined Lycra bicycle shorts under the gear to help with monkey butt. Thinking about an OGIO moto flight vest to replace the back pack.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny how many dual sport riders you see wearing jeans and a street helmet.

In summer I wear a Fox armored shirt and no name knee braces under MX pants and a vented athletic type tshirt, with hiking boots and a hydration pack.

Tried a Fly MX helmet and goggles but too loud on the highway and no UV protection in the goggles. Tried a cheap AFX dual sport helmet with a flip up visor but had the optical distortion problem people complain about with that helmet. Broke down and spent the $350 on a Shoei Sonora dual sport helmet and it's worth every dollar, big difference in fit and finish compared to cheapo price point helmets. Just wish they made it in colors instead of basic/boring black.

edit: forgot to mention a crash in May of 2010. Two dogs ran in front of me while I was doing about 30 on a dirt road. Slammed on the brakes and got it down to probably around 15 when one dog hit the front wheel. (I was steering away from it, it target fixated on wheel, dogs fault, it was ok) Dumped the bike, fell to the right. Contact points were right knee, forearm, and shoulder. Head did not hit the ground. My shoulder was sore for several months but it would have been a lot worse without the armor. (possible broken collarbone) Forearm guard had two deep scratches along its length from dragging along rocks, would have been nasty road rash if the armor wasn't there.

Last edited by sanpedro; 03-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I usually ride in nothing but a loin cloth.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I usually just wear cargo shorts and flip flops when I ride..
I see guys like you...but usually they're riding crotch-rockets, which must be much safer than our dangerous dual sports .

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I see guys like you...but usually they're riding crotch-rockets, which must be much safer than our dangerous dual sports .
LOL I almost added the crotch rocket part in my original post. I was kidding, but aint it the truth?
You see those guys with shorts and no shirt wheelie-ing from stoplights and weaving in and out of traffic.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I usually ride in nothing but a loin cloth.
Uhggg!...I could've done without that mental picture.

Quick Reply: Riding gear