Riding alone

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I carry a SPOT and often ride alone on public dirt roads. I never ride off-road by myself. We've had bicycle riders(road riders) struck by cars and ly in a ditch hidden from the road with passing cars feet away and they are horribly injured. If you have to ride off-road alone-SPOT and leaving a departure-route-return schedule and check in with a reliable family member or friend is a must. Another point, I know a fellow or crashed badly in a very remote area in NM and the SPOT worked but the state patrol still had problems locating his exact position in the mountains. Some type of signlaing device would be wise also-smoke signal grenade, flare, high output LED becon, etc.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn! Good luck with the recovery!! Injuries suck - especially during riding season

Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
SPOT it is then. thanks. Like you guys, I'm forced to ride alone. Unlike you, I don't carry spot. I was just lucky then. My only concern now is the terrible pain when I stand with my left foot hanging. I feel my leg swelling and terrible deep throbbing pain . I wonder how long will this last. Elevated, I'm fine though.
Get well soon Pogi. The good news is you made it out OK and you're going to recover.

I too ride alone a good bit and I've take some bad spills. I know the throbbing pain you're feeling in your leg. A real bad street bike wreck years ago left me laid up for about a month. Literally had to learn to walk again. Pain was manageable when leg was elevated but when I'd stand the blood would rush to my feet and the pain was intense.

I'm not trying to play doctor just give you some hope that things will get better the more you stand up.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The worst injuries Ive had have been as a policeman. I had to have my left chest musclew reattached and the surgery and recovery were far more painful than the injury. I know the throbbing non-stop pain after surgery. It takes time and rehab. Cannot stress the importance of proper safe rehab!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, that's horrible. I'm glad to hear you're OK though. Definitely a good lesson to all on riding alone in remote locations.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
That definitely sucks. I ride alone a lot. I can't find enough folks around here to ride as much as I like to do or as frequently. Still, I'd rather ride alone and suffer the consequences than sit on the couch and die fat and useless. But, I don't have kids to worry about, and my wife is fairly well taken care of if I don't make it back. And I carry a SPOT for the last year or so. It's worth it. It's not just an emergency/life-or-death device. You can leave recorded messages to up to 10 people telling them you're OK, or you're back in camp. You can ask for help and let them know you're not hurt, but you're having a mechanical that requires assistance because it's too far to walk out. And of course there is the emergency "Send-the-Cavalry" button for when you're really hurt and need help to come to you. And each time you send a message, it puts you on a Google Earth map for anyone on your call-list, so they know right where you are.

If you're an adventure person who really goes places where phones may not work, this is the device to get...for motorcycling or other activities.

Get well soon.
Thad, I have two questions…

1. How well taken care of is your wife?
2. What is her name?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Pogi,
Very sorry to hear about your accident. I know too how bad pain is and how long recovery seems to take. Left femur broke 16 weeks ago today in a snowmobile accident (I got whacked just standing on the side of the road). Six weeks non-weight bearing, at least another 4 weeks on crutches. Lots of physical therapy and exercise. Be diligent with the physical therapy when that time comes. My limp is becoming barely noticeable now and quit taking ibuprofen this week. It's been quite a haul.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Thad, I have two questions…

1. How well taken care of is your wife?
2. What is her name?
LOL!...you are bad, dude...very bad.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Pogi,
Very sorry to hear about your accident. I know too how bad pain is and how long recovery seems to take. Left femur broke 16 weeks ago today in a snowmobile accident (I got whacked just standing on the side of the road). Six weeks non-weight bearing, at least another 4 weeks on crutches. Lots of physical therapy and exercise. Be diligent with the physical therapy when that time comes. My limp is becoming barely noticeable now and quit taking ibuprofen this week. It's been quite a haul.
Thanks. Its just that I'm getting desperate. Its still very painful when I lower my leg. I know its just 6 days post op but it sure is torture to me. Hope next week will be better. what's more torture is reading post from friends on fb having great time riding lol.
Ride safe guys.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR,

How many weeks months your doc days before you can ride again.
Mannn, this just sucks. I just started riding like 3 months ago.

Quick Reply: Riding alone