Riding alone

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding alone

I ride alone most of the time. Well, after what happened last week some changes are in order. I got my first major crash last week on a very secluded trail somewhere in lake silverwood. Crash occured unexpectedly. Front tire slipped, then I felt and heard my left lower leg bones break even before I hit the ground. I was concious all the time. First thing I checked was my leg. It was numb and was starting to hurt like hell. It was also pointing in the opposite direction. Tried to wiggle my toes but can only feel pain. Crawled towards my bike which btw was leaking gas. Soon found out I accidentally left my cell inside my truck. Fear then crept inside me. I'm going to die. I was exposed to the sun. Crawlled a few feet in the shade and saw cayote prints and pooo. My wife, my son my family.
Maybe 15 minutes later, someone came by and alerted the ranger station. I also found out there was no signal no my cell would have been useless.
Just got home from the hospital.leg in a cast. Doctors inserted a rod, stabilized it with pins and screws. Non weight bearing left leg at the moment. Pain constant.

What am I trying to say here. We'll its obvious. Never ever ride alone. If the crash happened 3 days prior, maybe I would have been dead. I was the only one riding that day .But if you still want to ride alone, get one of those 2 way 32 or 64 miles radios. And don't forget your cell.

Btw, I can't wait to ride again lol.

The day before surgery

My new ride

Last edited by Pogiboy; 06-10-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks! But at least your still alive to see your family and tell us about it. Heal quickly, but listen to what your doctors say and take it easy. I think about this all the time when I'm on my snowmobile. Out in the middle of nowwhere all by myself 100% of the time!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Almost exactly a year ago. I'm still not 100%, and it turns out my ankle was worse than I thought.

Originally Posted by zomby woof

I went out for an after dinner ride at the hare scramble course near my house last Saturday. I was flying. It was the best I have ever ridden. In fact, it was milliseconds after I told myself that, that somehow the front end washed, and I went down at about 70k (40 MPH) in the woods. I had equipment, but afterward, I couldn't lift my right arm (had to drink beers with left arm, talk about a learning curve), had a gashed knee, and a black and blue foot.
It's the hardest crash I've ever had, and I've had a lot of doozies.
I still can't walk right, but I'm off the crutches, and didn't miss a day of work.

This is significant. I don't bruise. I've never had one in almost 50 years until now.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to make it home, and didn't hit a tree on my way down.
I was luckier than you. I was able to get home, and didn't end up in the hospital. I still ride alone, but my mom (I'm 50 ) bought me a cell phone, just in case.

Good luck on your recovery.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Almost exactly a year ago. I'm still not 100%, and it turns out my ankle was worse than I thought.

I was luckier than you. I was able to get home, and didn't end up in the hospital. I still ride alone, but my mom (I'm 50 ) bought me a cell phone, just in case.

Good luck on your recovery.
Yeah. The accident made me realize how careless I had been.
Healing vibes for you.

Thanks. Maybe time to get those 32 or 64 mile 2 way radios .

Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Have a look at this. Many of us carry them when riding whether alone or with friends.

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

Old 06-10-2012, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Have a look at this. Many of us carry them when riding whether alone or with friends.

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Dang, sure don't like hearing this. I would guess many of us ride alone. It's always a concern to some degree especially the more remote the ride. Somebody was looking out for you, thankfully. Hopefully you will be on the fast mend and back in the saddle soon. Sorry about your misfortune. Best wishes for you.

Last edited by ShadetreeAZ; 06-10-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry to hear about your injury...heal up to ride another day...

Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That definitely sucks. I ride alone a lot. I can't find enough folks around here to ride as much as I like to do or as frequently. Still, I'd rather ride alone and suffer the consequences than sit on the couch and die fat and useless. But, I don't have kids to worry about, and my wife is fairly well taken care of if I don't make it back. And I carry a SPOT for the last year or so. It's worth it. It's not just an emergency/life-or-death device. You can leave recorded messages to up to 10 people telling them you're OK, or you're back in camp. You can ask for help and let them know you're not hurt, but you're having a mechanical that requires assistance because it's too far to walk out. And of course there is the emergency "Send-the-Cavalry" button for when you're really hurt and need help to come to you. And each time you send a message, it puts you on a Google Earth map for anyone on your call-list, so they know right where you are.

If you're an adventure person who really goes places where phones may not work, this is the device to get...for motorcycling or other activities.

Get well soon.

Attached Thumbnails Riding alone-spot.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

SPOT it is then. thanks. Like you guys, I'm forced to ride alone. Unlike you, I don't carry spot. I was just lucky then. My only concern now is the terrible pain when I stand with my left foot hanging. I feel my leg swelling and terrible deep throbbing pain . I wonder how long will this last. Elevated, I'm fine though.

Quick Reply: Riding alone