Ride reports or other comparisons to a WR250R vs. KLX-250S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I would love a WR/KLX mix. The KLX was a great all around bike and a fantastic single tracker with tractor like low gearing(compared to the WR). I find the WR to be a dirt bike with a plate. 2500 miles with a dropped c/s (12t), and a $100 Speedohealer (to compensate for gear changes). I have had to learn to ride much faster to keep up with the needs of the WR. On the dyno it pulled 24.8hp stock and I have no desire to do any mods. Well a larger tank would be nice someday, but the F/I is so sweet, I get 60mpg in every fill up, highway, back roads, dirt and zero to 4500ft altitude.
I think if Kawi stepped up to F/I, and a little more suspension travel they would have a complete winner. I miss many of the KLX features, and respect the attitude of the WR.

Life has so many choices....DAMIT. Ride for fun....

Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
I dont know, but the yammi has its pros and cons just like everything else.. It just looks cheaper and not as appealing as the KLX, not like it matters but ya know what I mean.. and like one of the obove post,, Carbs are eaiser... Computers computers computers.. there just doin this so you have to take your bike back to the dealer more.. Its a marketing scheme but some will think its better,, yeah it might be but in the long run.. all this new crap is all for the money for the dealer.. just like the auto industry...
I work in the automotive maintenance/repair industry. Been doing this for 20 years now and I've seen the ever-expanding number of gizmos and gimmicks applied to the latest model vehicles. I don't mean to offend those of you who are buying these vehicles BUT you should know that the automakers are counting on you to purchase the latest and greatest vehicle (with all that CRAP on it that they've foisted on the consumer) because they KNOW what SHEEP Americans are. We have become a nation of followers (read SHEEP) and (apparently) will purchase anything put into our vehicles. Yes, yes I know that SOME of these add-ons actually have SOME value. . . but heated mirrors and seats, a plethora of cup-holders, tire-pressure monitoring systems (yeah, we're too lazy/stupid to check our tire pressures, any longer!), and the biggest piece-of-crap technology foisted off on the consumer. . . the key-in-the-ignition security system. Have ANY idea how many no-start problems are created by THAT wonderful bit of technology? Well, hell, I could go on and on but I DID want to say that Fuel Injection actually IS a REAL improvement in air/fuel management. For those of us who live and ride in mountainous terrain, fuel injection will be a real boon. If you live and ride at the same elevation. . . no problem. . . carbs work very well for you! Personally. . . I welcome fuel injection!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I also welcome FI. Went from 8-10 sets of pistons a year in my race car with the nitrous and carb to 1-2 sets a year with the FI and nitrous set up. Also went from 8.25-.30 to 8.0-.15 I know that doesn't sound like much but its a huge difference, and weather tune ups were way easier.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
I've gone around the 'net looking for Yamaha WR250R (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...95/0/home.aspx) ride reports and comparisons to similar motorcycles. All I'm really finding is stuff about the claimed 30HP at 11,000 RPM.

For a $1,000 you can do a Kustom Kraft 331cc upgrade to our KLX-250S's so, for pure power I think that is a great option. However, the fuel injection seems to have some benefits and I'm wondering how the suspension and other bits are sorted out in this Yamaha dual sport. I'd consider a Husky 250 and dual sport it myself but, their dealer network is too thin for me. Plus the dollar to Euro conversion rates are killing KTM and Husky in terms of price.

My "fair-weather friend" has me considering putting street tires on it for sunny day pleasure rides and commutes when the weather is warm,and getting a second motorcycle that is more dirt oriented. Before I bought my KLX-250S, I looked at the Honda CRF-X and Yamaha WR's but, I didn't like the 10 hour service intervals for a street ride. This new Yamaha might be a good balance of better performance and reasonable service intervals since it is a dual-sport and not a dedicated race machine.

What's the consensus on the WR-250R's? Are they more dirt worthy then a KLX-250S? Do they have more maintenance requirements then the KLX but not as bad as a hard core 4-stroke race bike? What other models should I consider in a motorcycle that is less then 300 pounds and dirt worthy?

Thanks!
I highly doubt the WR250X or R have 10 hour service intervals. They have completely new engines.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricky
Funny that no one mentioned the extra weight the Yama has.

Now think about this: you want to change the pipe and muffler, you'll have to go to dealer so they can reprogram the ECU = extra $$$

Carbs are easy.
Power Commander can be obtained by mail order. Ever used USB connection?

Easier than a carb by far!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
I dont know, but the yammi has its pros and cons just like everything else.. It just looks cheaper and not as appealing as the KLX, not like it matters but ya know what I mean.. and like one of the obove post,, Carbs are eaiser... Computers computers computers.. there just doin this so you have to take your bike back to the dealer more.. Its a marketing scheme but some will think its better,, yeah it might be but in the long run.. all this new crap is all for the money for the dealer.. just like the auto industry...
You kidding? How could downloading a map to a Power Commander and plugging that into your bike be harder than all this carb slide drilling air box modding nonsense? You think the welds on our bike look GOOD?

With that said, the 250R is TALL...I'm 6'1 and didn't really like the height.

The X version is lower than the R, and it is much cooler looking in my opinion.

I think our bike is very cool looking, but the Yamaha blue and black is badder than the red and black of my bike...

Last edited by je2000; 09-25-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

The WR250R/X have extended (3,000mile) service intervals with the first valve check/adjust scheduled at 26,600 miles.
The 250R is tall but the suspension is adjustable, I'm 5'10" and have no problem riding after using the lower setting front and rear.

I'm not really sure that I relate or agree with Magoo's rants or even see any relevancy.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
The WR250R/X have extended (3,000mile) service intervals with the first valve check/adjust scheduled at 26,600 miles.
The 250R is tall but the suspension is adjustable, I'm 5'10" and have no problem riding after using the lower setting front and rear.

I'm not really sure that I relate or agree with Magoo's rants or even see any relevancy.
I went into the dealer looking for the 250X, and came out with the KLX250s.

Impulse buy, first bike. It's fun! Just ride it guys! Stock, it's FUN on the trails, and 50mph roads, its FINE. My biggest complaints are the seat and it's a little iffy at 70mph indicated. I'd stay off those roads, but it's 70mph at the end of my driveway.