Ride reports or other comparisons to a WR250R vs. KLX-250S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Default RE: Ride reports or other comparisons to a WR250R vs. KLX-250S?

Funny that no one mentioned the extra weight the Yama has.

Now think about this: you want to change the pipe and muffler, you'll have to go to dealer so they can reprogram the ECU = extra $$$

Carbs are easy.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ride reports or other comparisons to a WR250R vs. KLX-250S?

ORIGINAL: ricky

Now think about this: you want to change the pipe and muffler, you'll have to go to dealer so they can reprogram the ECU = extra $$$

Carbs are easy.
Not to metion too that if some aftermarket company doescomes out with some power commander type unit, i guarantee it'll cost A LOT more than a 5 dollar jet and 15 dollar needle.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricky

Carbs are easy.
Yesterday I rode with a new acquaintance who has a WR250R with a FMF slip-on and when I asked whether he had to re-program the bike's PCM (Powertrain Control Module) he stated that he did not. I assumed that the PCM on a bike does the same thing that a PCM on a car or truck does. . . as a vehicle's systems age, the PCM makes adjustments to compensate. So does the PCM compensate for mods to exhaust, intake, A/F or not? Just asking!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

A guy I work with just got a wr250R, we're planning on riding together soon so we'll see what his bike can do against my piped/jetted klx. Will post results

Old 09-23-2008, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Honestly spend the extra 1000.00 and get the Yamaha you'll never be sorry you did. I rode one last weekend and liked it so much more than my 09 klx.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont know about KAW, but Honda showed their new CR 450 F for 2009 and for 300 buckaroos you can buy the software and hardware that plugs into your laptop to tune it. Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!! I so wish my KLX had that!
________
Genie vaporizer review

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
Yesterday I rode with a new acquaintance who has a WR250R with a FMF slip-on and when I asked whether he had to re-program the bike's PCM (Powertrain Control Module) he stated that he did not. I assumed that the PCM on a bike does the same thing that a PCM on a car or truck does. . . as a vehicle's systems age, the PCM makes adjustments to compensate. So does the PCM compensate for mods to exhaust, intake, A/F or not? Just asking!
With a slip-on alone, the WR250R gains about 2hp. With a slip-on AND Power Commander, it gains about 5hp. The stock ECU or 'Power Contol Module' as Yahaha names it, will make adjustments, but only within a limited range, due to emission control reasons.

When you make a major increase in airflow (I.E. a slip-on), you will need some sort of re-mapper chip in order to optimize the A/F mixture or you will be runnin somewhat lean. The remapper uses inputs from the stock sensors, just like the stock ECU does, but it has more authority to increase the pulse width going to the fuel injector/s.

I guess the decision comes down to if you are you happy with a couple of more ponies and a more badass sound or do you want to drop the extra coin to realize the full pontial of your mod. Once you've spent the money it will probably be a nice feeling knowing you can adjust your A/F mixture without having to tear apart a carburetor each time to rejet.

Last edited by tremor38; 09-23-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I think fuel injection would be nice for the much dreaded altitude change as well.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know, but the yammi has its pros and cons just like everything else.. It just looks cheaper and not as appealing as the KLX, not like it matters but ya know what I mean.. and like one of the obove post,, Carbs are eaiser... Computers computers computers.. there just doin this so you have to take your bike back to the dealer more.. Its a marketing scheme but some will think its better,, yeah it might be but in the long run.. all this new crap is all for the money for the dealer.. just like the auto industry...

Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

LOL, yeah if I had called the FI on the yami a 'marketing scheme' I'd been flamed two pages by now. I agree though, expensive and no more performance. Manufacturers are doing it because for some odd reason, society tells them they have to. But society refuses to pay for something that really doesn't do anything different other than raise the price $1000. Kawi knows this and this is the reason the KLX won't get FI stateside anytime soon. The SM version was unexpected, no FI on that one either. If FI was coming, I would think the KLX450 would be first in line. Not going to happen on this line of bikes imo.

Quick Reply: Ride reports or other comparisons to a WR250R vs. KLX-250S?