Ride Report - Outback Camping and ATV Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Ride Report - Outback Camping and ATV Park

So I got up early this morning and headed down to see my buddy ncTRAILBOSS from ADVRider and do some riding at the Outback Camping and ATV Park which is pretty much right in his back yard. Been a while since I was down that way, so thought it was time to pay a visit. Can't stay away too long.

As I was loading up the bike to leave, I couldn't help but notice the light show going on in my back yard. Sometimes you gotta stop and smell the sunlight.

Time to get my own little show on the rode ...

I stopped to get gas, but they were closed.

Couldn't help but stop for a few pics along the way ... it was a gorgeous morning.

Eventually I made it down to the Outback and set up shop. I took a spin around the property while I waited for ncTRAILBOSS to arrive. He has such a long drive to get here. lol

ncTRAILBOSS rolled in. Say hi, ncTB.

As we were getting our gear on and talking with the owner, I noticed this rascal just chugging it through the close-cut grass. He was hauling the mail, I tell you! He came right through the middle of our little tailgate and made a grand entrance as he crashed our party. He headed straight for my bike like he was a man on a mission, he was not to be slowed down or detained - this fella was all business! I think he took a big ol' bite out of my rear tire as he passed by. I thought he was going to knock my bike off its stand, and being the same color with similar markings, I wondered if he thought my baby could be a potential mate. I tell you he came in like a freight train, full of fury and demanding attention. He was a force to be reckoned with, like a rogue storm that appears in an instant and is gone just a quickly.

Fortunately he left her alone and sustained his relentless march, advancing undeterred, never slowing down, and constantly moving full steam ahead. And in his wake he left an impression that I won't soon forget. What an amazing creature!

I later Googled that giant KTM "ant" and as it turns out, it is actually a wasp. But it looks just like an ant and is known as a "Cow Killer Ant", apparently because its sting is so painful that it will "kill a cow." Good thing I didn't pick it up like ncTB and Ralph told me to. You guys are true friends, I'll tell you that!

Unfortunately, even though I snapped about a thousand pictures of that feller, he was moving so darn fast like KTM's do, that none of them turned out very well. Most were either blurry or of the back end as he was steaming away. Just like happens with KTM's. And Kawasaki's, too, of course!

Anyway, that was the fastest moving ground-based insect I have ever seen, that little bugger was hauling the mail. And for an "ant", it was huge - at least an inch long, if not longer. Gives me shivers thinking about a bunch of them coming after me. No thank you sir!

NOTE: Extra credit for anyone that can photoshop a KTM logo on that rascal.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 07-26-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Continued ...

I didn't take any photos riding, sorry. Too busy riding to stop for photos, the trails were great. But when we were done, I looked like this:

And ncTB looked like this:

Next time I lead!

Fortunately, I am an amazing logistics planner and I packed a soaking wet bath towel in a gallon zip-lock bag. After that piece of kit worked its magic, it was like I just got out of the shower and felt like a million bucks. I changed into cut-offs and a t-shirt, all freshly clean and dry cotton and life was bliss. And as Tommy and I were drinking a cool and refreshing beverage under the shade of those century old oaks, it wasn't long before there was yet more creatural excitement.

A confused bat was flying around us in the broad daylight, not moving very fast, just kind of flapping and seemed to be struggling. Maybe the heat? Maybe it was sick? Who knows. But his little sonar gizmo wasn't working too well either because he flew right into a pole and dropped straight to the ground, out cold:

He eventually he came to, and flopped around, squeaking and generally not looking too coherent:

He still seemed pretty lively, though, yet disoriented and unable to pull it together enough to fly and do what bats do. Maybe he tried to tangle with our giant KTM Ant and Orange put the hurt on him.

Anyway, hope he got over whatever was ailing him.

So yeah, that was an interesting day! Never a dull moment at the Outback. Until next time!

Last edited by Nobrakes; 07-26-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow! Those are great shots! Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome photos.

Cow Killer... Yikes!

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Brian.
A good day out.
Cheers.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Very Nice!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

So from the looks of it,m you didn't wash the bike before you got there......please tell me you washed it when you got home. I'm sure if you rubbed hard enough that the orange would come off.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I'm sure if you rubbed hard enough that the orange would come off.
Well looky there, I didn't know underneath all that orange it was really green.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice pics!

Craziest looking ant I've ever seen lol

Bat was probably drunk

I must say, KTM looking green gave me a chubby