Ride report - Coal Creek, TN

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Default Ride report - Coal Creek, TN

Just got in from spending the weekend on the trails at Coal Creek OHV area in Oliver Springs, TN. I absolutely love this place. I doubt you can ride every trail they have over the course of a 3 day weekend (it's something like 250miles total). Just too many miles and not enough daylight. I took a couple of spills by either overriding my ability or going too fast and finding a mud-covered smooth rock with the front tire in a turn. The bike handled everything I threw at it without pause and took me places I would have never tried on my old bike. I received ALOT of compliments on it from both my ride group and people we met on the trails. I got separated from my group once and they commented later, they 'heard' me coming and knew it was me by the exhaust tone. I only have a few pics - as I was too wrapped up in riding and didn't even think about grabbing the camera while I out here. I did manage to put 75 trail miles on my bike though. I think I saw another 250S out there at the trail-head, but didn't have time to turn around and talk with the rider.

Here's me and a friend after getting to the top of trail 22. It's at the end of our 2nd day and we're flat worn out.

Name:  coal_creek_june06.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  78.1 KB

He's my friend coming down behind me on a wicked loose rock trail that was rated 'difficult' (trail 23).

Name:  coal_creek_june06_2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  140.5 KB

Group pic on a hill top

Name:  coal_creek_june06_3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  64.8 KB

Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ride report - Coal Creek, TN

Dang that looks like fun!

Old 06-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sharp rocks at the bottom......bring it on.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

great pix, lotsa rocks

Old 06-05-2006, 03:48 PM

That was just that one hill with all the rocks - though we did run in to a few more but they were nothing like that one. Most of the hard parts were sloopy 'slick as snail snot' mud drenched ruts that made things difficult. I had a great time and counting the days til we go back and attack it again.

BTW - I went thru one mud hole that came over my seat. Bike didn't even skip a beat and pulled me right thru it. It would do the same thing on some VERY steep hills that were covered in slick mud. Just a 'chuga-chuga' at low rpms in 2nd gear all the way up. The gear swap made a SERIOUS improvement with this bike's performance.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Mate my bike is stock (engine, gearing, suspension, exhaust) and I have climbed some awesome hills and the bike handled it all so easy and I was scared before I went up them. This bike ROX

Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 PM

I rode my bike in stock form on some local trails and thought it sucked. I was actually a little disappointed with it when I first rode it. I thought it was adequate for touring around going from a gravel road to maybe a moderate trails on the easy side - but really didn't have things sorted out for where I choose to put a bike. IMO - the stock tires are terrible on terrain I frequent and I had to rev the **** out of the bike to get into the engine's nature powerband while on a trail. Now - new tires, gear set, and new found hp and tq .. it's right where I want and need it to be and the perfect bike for me. With all that, I can still pull it onto the road and drive down to the store if I like. Again - in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine could do with lower gearing and better tyres, but its not bad enuff for me to change before they are worn out. Oh yeah did I mention I have the 300 kit sitting there just waiting to be put on sometime .... when I decide the bike is no longer powerful enuff ... for the moment I don't need it [8D]

Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Mine could do with lower gearing and better tyres, but its not bad enuff for me to change before they are worn out.
Wha the? Now you're agreeing with me? I get it, you're frugal. That's cool - nothing wrong with it. Im not, and I would rather spend some $$$ and have some better tires, steeper gearing, and added hp/tq for when I take my bike offroad - which is most of the time for now. It makes the ride sooooo much more pleasurable. I never said the bike could NOT go where I want to go ... but it definitely wasn't all it could be and I'm not good with mediocre. I changed that.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

What I said was the bike is good enough for me stock, later on when I get to be a better rider I will add better stuff (and stuff is worn). I also commute on mine so I don't want full on knobbies and I need to keep road gear on the bike most of the time. I bought my bike as a duel purpose bike which it just happens to do very very well. [8D]
This bike ROX