Ride height.. Has my bike been lowered? Measurement please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ride height.. Has my bike been lowered? Measurement please?

Hey guys (and girls), I just bought a beautiful 2009 low mileage KLX250S. Original owner was a female who added a pipe to it, then sold it to a guy that did jet kit and some other mods. I noticed that the fork legs seem to be sticking through the triple clamps a little more than I would expect. I wish I had taken a photo of it but forgot and now I am at work. I was wondering if anyone has a stock bike, if you could please measure the distance from the top of the top triple clamp, up to the top edge of the fork leg so I will know if it has been lowered. I hope to post my measurement and possibly a pic later tonight. Thank you for the help. I have a lot of experience lowering front ends on street bikes, and this looks like someone did that to the KLX.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

From what you're saying about the forks and possibly, but not necessarily because one of the previous owner was a female, most likely the bike has been lowered. Off the top of my head, the forks usually are about the width of a quarter or less above the top clamps. Which also means the dog bones were changed as well.

BTW- my oldest son lowered his KLX250 and KX250F so he could sit flat footed. As for me, it's almost tippy toes on my bikes.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Now I am wondering about the dog bones as well. I am 6' tall, and the bike is still plenty high. I might be best served to leave it as-is for a bit and see how I like it in the woods. I don't think an inch of lost clearance is going to kill me, but the added stability on uneven terrain might be beneficial. I will look at the dog bones for markings to see if they look like aftermarket or see if they are adjustable with multiple holes. Like I said, I am familiar with it from street bikes. ALSO, I measured the exposed section of fork tube and it shows 13/16" exposed fork tube above the top of the triple clamp. Bike looks level and plenty tall though, so I might give it a shot as is, unless it looks like a 140cc bike! LOL.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

If you compress the fork enough while riding the tire can hit the fender with the tubes pulled up into the fork clamps/trees. If that happens the front tire may lock up and send you over the bars. Could end badly for you if you are heavy enough and ride it hard enough.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Per the inner web here's the seat height on a 2009 KLX250s

Seat Height 34.8 in.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Seat height

I use to be on my tippy toes.. gained some weight and now I’m flat footed on it... I guess you can say it’s lowered now...🤣

Old 01-08-2020, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys. Dog Bones are stamped “119.5”. Are they the stock ones? I’m assuming they are. If so, bike was only lowered in the front and I intend to fix it. Can anyone chime in and let me know if those are stock dog bones? Assuming they are 119.5mm

Stamped 119.5 Stock?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

My 07 has 117 stamped on them.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

It's been lowered. I'm guessing about 1.5 inches.
Edit - this may be incorrect. Do the 09+ bikes have a stock 119.5?

Here's a good thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...le-info-31135/
and a good site:https://www.koubalink.com/KLX250-300.html

I have an acquaintance with a stock KLX that may want those links if you decide to rid yourself of them. Please let me know if so.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-08-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

119.5 is stock for 2009+, which is where the difference in travel between generations of KLX comes from, I'm guessing. If you have an '06-'07 it's been lowered.
And I believe the forks are supposed to stick up 3mm above the triples, so at least the front was lowered.

Quick Reply: Ride height.. Has my bike been lowered? Measurement please?