REVIEW: Joe Rocket Survivor Full Suit

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default REVIEW: Joe Rocket Survivor Full Suit

Just a quick review on the Joe Rocket Survivor textile suit which I recently purchased.

Once I discovered textile, I left leather at the track. The only problem is that textiles traditionally only come in separate tops & bottoms and I really like the weather protection and safety of full-suits.

There are now several models of textile full-suits available and Motorcycle Superstore recently discounted the Joe Rocket model to $359 so I decided to try it.

Some initial thoughts are:
-It's rugged & heavy construction weighing in at ~5kg (10lbs)
-It's armoured including spine protector
-It's warm and has a removable liner
-It's got decent upper body ventilation
-Plenty of storage pockets
-No chance to test the "water-proof" claim yet but other gear has left me with low expectations.

I am 6', 170lbs and medium fits nicely. It's very adjustable. The legs are long for walking around in, but once I get on the bike, they're perfect. I'd recommend it to others in the market...

Last edited by go cytocis; 04-11-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Be interested in the length of time it's waterproof. I need an hour from my gear. I'm good up top, but my pants soak through in the crotch, there isn't a waterproof zipper there for some dumb reason.
What size did you get?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
my pants soak through in the crotch...What size did you get?
Somehow the crotch is the weak spot of EVERY pair of MC pants I have ever owned!
Sorry, should have mentioned I got size Medium.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

That's good know. I think if I ever did a long ride I would get one. I'd feel a little safer with that extra protection. I used to ride with a regular leather jacket which was ok. But after I bought my first motorcycle jacket with all the padding I will never go back.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

does it provide hip protection?...it lists ce rated armor in shoulders, elbows and knees, and removable spine pad....my fieldsheer overpants are falling apart....zipper tabs just fell off and pocket threads are coming out and not useable...legs melt near the fmf megabomb...but, i will say that i do like the quality of the speed and strength touring jacket Speed and Strength Hell 'N Back ST Textile Motorcycle Jacket | Touring | Jake Wilson ...14,000 miles of use and all zippers, pockets and threading is perfect....kept me dry in rain storms...but, maybe a full suit might be better protection instead of buying another overpants...

Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
does it provide hip protection?
Unfortunately no. It's about the only complaint I have so far.
I may sew some armour pockets in myself, or just continue wearing my crash shorts underneath...

Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Just a quick update on the Survivor Suit now that spring has *finally* arrived in this part of the world. I was out dual sporting for 4 hours in 25c (80f) today. I still have the removeable insulated liner in, but I rode with the vents open. Air circulation for the upper body is excellent without any 'puffiness' or flapping at higher speeds.
Regarding the stitching, I have already torn the interior breast pocket by trying to stuff a 1l oil bottle into it (my fault!)...