Replacing '09 Stock Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Default Replacing '09 Stock Bars

Has anyone replaced their '09 stock bars yet? If so, what did you get and why? I'm 5'11" tall, and I feel the stock bars are too low and maybe not even wide enough. Thanks!

Jeff

Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Replacing '09 Stock Bars

ProTaper KX High bars

These let me (5' 6") stand on the foot pegs and grab the handlebars without being hunched over.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I got some sweet renthals, there were a few hickups getting them mounted (cables are tight), also my left grip is loose, i tried a few different adhesives, but i dont think i left enough time to setup.

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day039_800x600.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day015_800x600.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  55.4 KB

Dont forget to grind these nubs:

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day020_800x600.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day027_800x600.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day030_800x600.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day032_800x600.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day053_800x600.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  79.5 KB

Testing out the final product: (I like the Acerbis Gaurds, the bars feel good, much firmer, GPS mount from RAM is awsome, not sure if ill keep the pad on)

Name:  KLX_Mod_Day054_800x600.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  129.7 KB

Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

you said your new renthals were firmer, LOL, did your stock bars flex?
I actually see no reason in changing from stock, I like the new bend and so far they are just asrigid as Reeds were on his YZ he won the title with (ie. no flexing at all).
For me, changing perfectly fine stock bars is ridiculous. It's like taking a perfectly fine brand new stock exhaust off of a car- you probably won't gain anything but looks (and sound in this case). When you do have that first crash and they bend, fine change them up. But I'm here to tell you that alumilites, renthals, etc. will bend JUST as easily as a stock bar will in most crashes. Nothing is unbendable and in most crashes that will bend an oem bar, a high priced aftermarket bar will bend as well. I will admit though, the $67 renthals sure are purdy. But for like $27 or so, the tusk aluminum bars are a no-brainer if you're after renthals that don't say "renthal" on them.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

I actually see no reason in changing from stock, I like the new bend and so far they are just asrigid as Reeds were on his YZ he won the title with (ie. no flexing at all).
For me, changing perfectly fine stock bars is ridiculous. It's like taking a perfectly fine brand new stock exhaust off of a car- you probably won't gain anything but looks (and sound in this case). When you do have that first crash and they bend, fine change them up. But I'm here to tell you that alumilites, renthals, etc. will bend JUST as easily as a stock bar will in most crashes. Nothing is unbendable and in most crashes that will bend an oem bar, a high priced aftermarket bar will bend as well. I will admit though, the $67 renthals sure are purdy. But for like $27 or so, the tusk aluminum bars are a no-brainer if you're after renthals that don't say "renthal" on them.
I'll bebuyingaftermarket bars STRICTLY for rideability. The stock bars, while fine for pedestrian street riding and light trail riding,are not personally suitable for me off-road (especially when standing up for various situations). "Firmness" is a non-sequiter in the context of my original post.

Jeff

Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: durden

I got some sweet renthals, there were a few hickups getting them mounted (cables are tight), also my left grip is loose, i tried a few different adhesives, but i dont think i left enough time to setup.

Dont forget to grind these nubs:

Testing out the final product: (I like the Acerbis Gaurds, the bars feel good, much firmer, GPS mount from RAM is awsome, not sure if ill keep the pad on)

That is a SWEET setup! Thanks for the post and the photos! How long have you had them? Where did you get your GPS mount?

Jeff

Old 05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the "Jimmy Button" Renthals. Got mine in black though.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dude! you got the same GPS I have. Nice bars by the way. I'm 6-1 and I wish my bars were 2 inches higher.
Name:  P4204746.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  73.2 KB

Old 05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey I just noticed something, is that an after market tank or is the new one not gloss black? Look at the difference between mine and yours.Just curious.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

Yup, stockers are flimsy junk. My KLR has similar cheap Kawa bars, which bent to s#it, the first time i dropped the bike off road. Im going to be doing lots of trail riding so if im going to spend the time mounting Acerbis gaurds, it worth doing on a good set of raised bars. The gaurds mount perfectly on the Buttons, and leave room for my GPS mount. Im all for saving money, but when its $20 difference, im all for buying the read deal. No drilling out the ends garbage to get the gaurds on, and for me the gaurds were a must.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on their experience, made mine that much easier!

Quick Reply: Replacing '09 Stock Bars