Replacement Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I have one in mine. It was a noticeable difference when I installed it, but I still think it is too dim.

I'm trying to talk myself into dropping $35 on a PIAA H4 anti-vibration lamp. They are supposed to output almost 2x the light of a standard H4 lamp.
Don't by it. The best quality is the Philips x-treme vision. More light however can be had by the Osram Rallye 70/65W. It is more power but not so much to overheat the assembly and or the wiring.

Relays will also give a higher voltage a the bulb and does for sure increase output.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-17-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
A relay that ties the headlight to battery power will also help brightness.
How do you do that?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
How do you do that?
Here are some nice kits Motorcycle H4 Relay Kits, cheap Worldwide Shipping

You can however do this yourself if you can get access to the relays (should not be a big deal but the kits above use nice relays)

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Here are some nice kits Motorcycle H4 Relay Kits, cheap Worldwide Shipping

You can however do this yourself if you can get access to the relays (should not be a big deal but the kits above use nice relays)
I don't get it... how does this make more light? It's just a relay.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
I don't get it... how does this make more light? It's just a relay.
With factory wiring (not just our bikes but most cars etc) you will get a significant voltage drop at the light. The wires are too small and the power comes through the switch. The relay just allows you to get power straight form the battery. You run a larger wire and experience less voltage drop.

The difference can be as great as 1.5v and that is very significant in terms of output.

BTW a good relay is just for the longevity of the device. Cheap relays will burn out faster. Good relays will likely last the life of the bike.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I just ordered a DDMTuning HID kit for my KLX. I got the single-filament version and will wire a set of those LED aux lights to the high beam switch. I have these on my DR650 too and they're great. 35watt HID + 10watt each on the aux lights and I'm at the same output as the stock (crap) light but with vastly superior lighting.

Rob

Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

With factory wiring (not just our bikes but most cars etc) you will get a significant voltage drop at the light. The wires are too small and the power comes through the switch. The relay just allows you to get power straight form the battery. You run a larger wire and experience less voltage drop.

The difference can be as great as 1.5v and that is very significant in terms of output.

BTW a good relay is just for the longevity of the device. Cheap relays will burn out faster. Good relays will likely last the life of the bike.
I guess I will be doing a voltage test next time at the head light to validate this claim.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

My son and I have been using silverstars for the last 2 years in our cars with no problems. That's with daytime running lights, too.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

So these are the correct lights?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261006570238?...84.m1423.l2649

Seems like an ok deal to me, if they're that good.

FYI, if you guys are looking for a good, small relay, these Omron relays can be found in the fuse panel, under the hood of 95+ Geo Metros, and Swifts at your local wreckers for nothing. Good for 30 amps.

Name:  IMG_0929.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  41.9 KB

Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
My son and I have been using silverstars for the last 2 years in our cars with no problems. That's with daytime running lights, too.
DRL run the lamps at (usually) 60%, which helps significantly with bulb life. Yes, they're on, but at a very low voltage compared to what they were designed to operate at.

Same thing holds true with lamps in your home. If you replace your 120V lamps with 130V lamps, they'll last an unbelievably long time!

My concern with lamps is how well they handle off-road vibration. I want one with a hefty filament that will last a long time and take the vibration that off-road riding subjects it to.

Quick Reply: Replacement Headlights