Replacement Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Replacement Headlights

I was in Wal-Mart and saw some Sylvania Silver Star H4 headlights, H4 is a direct replacement bulb. Anyone using it? It is about $20 - is it much better than stock? I don't ride at night a ton but last time I did I noticed my buddies KLR could brighten the dark side of the moon whereas mine was a little dim

Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been looking at those too, except here they're 29.95. A lot whiter light.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

To what I have read these bulbs have great light but poor life. Carry a spare.
Maybe replace every riding season to be sure.

Stashu

Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Most manufacturers make these whiter bulbs. The negative is that they have a lot shorter life than a standard bulb. They just don't last that long. You may or may not get a season with one bulb vs standard bulbs lasting a really long time.

They Sylvania has a rep for being very short. Philips x-treme power is a good choice or the even brighter x-treme vision but the later is not in the states for some reason. One other thing the better bulbs like the Philips get you is a better beam focus (less wasted light) and therefore more useful light on the road.

osrams rally at a bit higher wattage will work and will be brighter. Perhaps the brightest. I went with the x-treme vision but have not put them in yet.

A relay that ties the headlight to battery power will also help brightness.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay

They Sylvania has a rep for being very short. Philips x-treme power is a good choice or the even brighter x-treme vision but the later is not in the states for some reason.
The newer klx250 uses a 12v 55/60w bulb, I see from looking on ebay that there is a few options for Philips Vision x-treme Headlight Bulbs. H1, H2, H4 & H7 models! Do you know the model number best suited for the klx? Which did you order? thx

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
The newer klx250 uses a 12v 55/60w bulb, I see from looking on ebay that there is a few options for Philips Vision x-treme Headlight Bulbs. H1, H2, H4 & H7 models! Do you know the model number best suited for the klx? Which did you order? thx
Someone should chime in but I am 99.9% sure yours is the same as the 2006-2007 which is H4. 55/60w is the standard rating.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

silverstars blow quick.avoid. my ddm tuning HID kit was $40plus s/h....the low beam only is $25 plus s/h..........food for thought

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

H4 is the one you want for sure... never even seen those other H1, H2, and H7 bulb, I'll give em a look for reference purposes.

Edit: looks like the H"#" just denotes the mounting style duhh lol, yea H4 is the one I bought... I just bought some poopy "ultra white super max" blahh blahh blah bulb off ebay for $3 (was buyin other stuff at the time and figured why not give it a shot for that cheap of a price). It's a whiter light for shure, but I haven't had the chance to get the bike on the road yet to see how much brighter it is... the glass was ever so slightly bent when I got it... doesn't seem to effect it though (what do you expect for $3. Also I noticed the bulb slides in a linear manner in and out of the 3 pronged mounting base (about 3/4" of overall travel I bet).

I wonder were the best place is for the bulb respective to the mount? Farthest from or closest to the mount?

Last edited by LikesToThump; 04-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had my Silverstars in my Jeep for 4yrs...great bulb,also I have a after market Ricer jap brand h4 100w in my Harley...it burns out about every two yrs...But I look like a Frieght train at night,every car in front of me moves over,and no I have Never been pulled over for it...20 bucks for two..

Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey113
I was in Wal-Mart and saw some Sylvania Silver Star H4 headlights, H4 is a direct replacement bulb. Anyone using it? It is about $20 - is it much better than stock? I don't ride at night a ton but last time I did I noticed my buddies KLR could brighten the dark side of the moon whereas mine was a little dim
I have one in mine. It was a noticeable difference when I installed it, but I still think it is too dim.

I'm trying to talk myself into dropping $35 on a PIAA H4 anti-vibration lamp. They are supposed to output almost 2x the light of a standard H4 lamp.

Quick Reply: Replacement Headlights